Direct Melt or Water Jacket -- What do you like and why?

Which do you like better, Direct Melt or Water Jacketed bulk melters?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like better, Direct Melt or Water Jacketed bulk melters?

• Water Jacketed
    • Direct Melt

I thought this would make a cool poll...

What do you prefer and why? Water jacketed bulk melters or direct melt ones?

Why?

I'll go first.

Overall, water jacketed -- why? SAFETY. It is simply much safer -- wax can't get over 212*f... worse case scenario you'll burn out the element. $100 (or so) -- and no damage elsewhere...

Keep in mind I insulate the water jacketed melters so they are VERY efficient. They just don't melt as quickly if they've been off until room temp.

I do have some smaller direct-heat melters (industrial hot plates, etc.) -- and I can tell you -- I hate using them.

So what say you?

Pete

By direct melt you mean hot plates? That IS very dangerous, but if you are talking Presto pots, then that gets my vote.

Why ~ Because it's quick, it's easy, it's safe if done right (like everything in this business if done right), and I have several so can make a lot or a little at a time and it's just as effecient as a water jacket melter and much less expensive.

That;s my .02. :)

We have never used a water-jacketed melter. For around eight years we have used 60 pound direct heat melters from CES. Love them! Never had a problem. We have two. One is eight years old. The second is five or six. It takes about three hours to melt 60 pounds. A friend who has several water-jacketed melters does not like all of the issues with the water ones.

I have a 700# direct heat melter that has two thermostates on them with a safety fuse. If one thermostate fails the second takes over and if that one should fail the fuse pops so no over heating.

It doesn't matter if it fails for overheating or underheating. If the temp drops or rises 5 degrees, it converts to the back up thermostate and if that one fails 5 degrees either way it kicks the fuse.

I also have 2 - 120# melter that is the same way.

I wouldn't trade them for all the tea in china.

They are square so the cases fit right in, no seperating, no cutting, etc.

My son and husband built a slide for them so we can just slide the case right in and I don't have to lift the 60# case.

I don't like water jackets cause even if it in rarely, you have to remember to check the water and I know I personally would forget. Not saying they are bad but not for me.