Speaking of consumers not knowing how a good candle should burn.....

I sold 4 jar candles to this lady recently. Her granddaughter is a friend of my daughter's.

Anyway, a few days after I had delivered them, my daughter tells me that the lady is afraid to burn them b/c the tops get all liquidy when she burns them.

OMG I started cracking up! My daughter said she just rolled her eyes at the granddaughter and told her that's the way they are supposed to burn!

I know this lady is probably a marathon burner (she said she's a smoker and so wants to have a strong smelling candle burning at all times in her house), so I made sure I had given her my instruction paper and pointed out that it was a must read, but I bet she didn't even glance at it.

I don't even want to bother "helping" her cuz she's a PITA and I have a feeling just from talking to her a few times, that she'll never be satisfied with anything I do/say etc.

Anyway, I truly think that the average candle BUYER does not realize how a good candle (pillar or jar) should burn and that the wax should be fully consumed (at least until it gets to the last 1/2-1/4").

The whole reason I got into candlemaking is because I was sick and tired of buying candles that tunneled down the middle. How can anyone think that is the way a candle is supposed to burn?

They think it's this way because that's what's out there for people to buy. I have a feeling grandma won't appreciate the quality of your candle either.

I was used to Yankee and PartyLite...I had no idea a candle was supposed to not soot.

A very close friend of mine buys the home party candles from her friends and associates just to help them out rather than store buying. She buys the larger sized fancy jars so she can reuse the containers. They smell nice but they are sooty and badly tunneled. When I started making melts I made a few for her, hoping to kind of switch her over or at least get her approval of them, lol.... and she wastes so much money on the jar candles the way she burns them....but she never used my tarts and finally one day gave them back to me because she did not have a warmer. I told her that I was planning on bringing her one and had forgotten to bring it that day... she almost kept them at that point but I could see her discomfort, lol... so I assured her... 'hey look, if you don't use them- you don't use them. You are a candle person, it's ok and won't hurt my feelings.' So she was releived, lol. Anyways, I then noticed how she will light a candle and blow it back out when we leave with in a hour or so. I tried my best to convey that she will not get her money's worth if she does it like that. Her interest was peaked because she never heard of a certain way to burn a candle. So I went on to explain that they are NOT supposed to soot, the wax should be used up as it goes... etc etc. Do you think anything has changed?

Of course not, lol. Candle making and usage is one of those things that you have to chalk up as totally misunderstood, which is too bad really.:undecided I figure most people are like me... and before I found this board and started playing with some of the stuff I was just as clueless. But it just goes to show how badly made most of the mass market ones are... cuz if they don't tell a consumer that it's not supposed to soot or that it's supposed to make a full melt pool.... who will?? And they don't because they don't want us to know any better.

Maybe it should be a small chapter of study in home economics? :D

Thanks Kelly!

Maybe I'm just not trimming them closely enough...sometimes I've nipped them entirely TOO close and then can't get them to stay lit w/out surgury. :undecided I can see where not keeping them lit long enough could be a problem. Would there be other reasons why a candle would soot?