What is your technique for measuring wax?

I hope this amateur question isn't too annoying...

Is there anywhere I can find info on how to measure out wax and FO so I don't have so much leftover at the end?

I keep ending up with too much leftover after making my JJ's. Lets say I am making 2 8oz JJs. I measure out 1 lb of wax on my scale. When its all melted I end up with too much. Tonight I made 4 8oz jjs, so I measured out 2 lbs of wax. I ended up with more leftover than I needed to top off. What am I missing here?

The easiest is to weigh your JJ, tare your scale then pour wax into the JJ and weigh it. Make sure that if you do this, you take into consideration the weight of your FO.

The reason you have so much leftover wax is that your JJ does NOT hold 8 oz of wax. It probably holds about 6oz. When you measure with water you need to multiply by .8 as wax is less dense than water.

Remember that you get about 20 fluid oz (NOT WEIGHT--VOLUME) for 1lb of weighted wax.

HTH.

I know a lot of people do this measuring differently but I've always found the "Handy Calculator" that is offered in the "General Information" tab along the left side of this webpage to be very helpful.

I wish you luck in finding the way you like best!

Providing you're using the standard JJ and not the wide mouth....

Here's the calculations I use:

• Total amount of "material" going into the jar is 6.5oz (got this by using the calculator under the General Information tab to your left)
  • If you want to use 6% of FO... 6.5 x .06 = .4oz of FO (rounded)
  • Subtract that from your total of 6.5 to get how much wax (6.5 - .4 = 6.1)

So, for your 8oz JJ, you will use 6.1oz of wax and .4oz of FO, for a grand total of 6.5oz! :) Now you can hopefully see why one pound of wax was way too much for one jar....

HTH!!

To make it more complicated, it depends whether you are using soy wax or paraffin. They will weigh out differently. Do check out the information in the left sidebar, but to the best of my knowledge it's based on paraffin. If I'm wrong, I hope someone will chime in and correct this :grin2: