worse that can happen?

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can speak from the voice of experience because I did exactly that when I was a "newbie"...... I thought what the heck, more would make it better. WOW, was I wrong!! Good thing I was watching the candle because after it was burning awhile, all of a sudden it was blazing and scared the living day lights out of me. I grabbed a lid from a pan and covered the flames. :eek: :eek: :eek: Sure could have been a disaster if the candle was sitting near something that could have caught on fire. Taught me a lesson real quick.

Thankfully that never happened to me. I am still using about 2 oz per lb in my candles. They work and they smell good, but I'm learning alot today. I wish I had found this site before I just jumped in headfirst. Would have saved me a ton of $ and alot of late nights wondering what the????

what are triple scented candles then?

I've learned that here today. I've also learned that I was an idiot for thinking candle making was easy and I could just make a great candle right out of the gate.

I thank all of you who know what you are doing and take the time out of your lives to make a forum like this available to cocky people such as myself.

Oh Don't be so hard on yourself.

Your not an idiot.

There is tons of great info on here for you.

Just do searches and you will come up with alot.

Making a great candles does not happen over night.

We all had to start at the beginning too.

Good luck.:grin2:

Guest Amorelei

Wax is like a sponge... it will only hold so much FO. The rest will seep out, sit on top and, as someone already mentioned, become a fire hazard. If the manufacturer of your wax says max is 6-9%... BELIEVE them.

I have heard that 'triple scented' came about because the 'standard' was to use 0.5 oz/# of wax. Someone started using 1.5oz/# and called it 'triple scented.' Just what I've heard along the way...

I'm not really being hard on myself. I was at first until I figured out that it wasn't as easy as I thought. And then I figured out how to make a passable candle. But that's just it. Passable.

With this forum I'm sure I can do much better now,

To make the "Perfect Candle" I've learned you need more, alot more, knowledge than I even dreamed of 2 months ago.

I'm humbled. But that doesn't mean I'll give up. My husband just bought a $300 cymbal for his drum set. That's just that much more I can play with. : )

I ordered soy wax that has a 15% FO hold from a reputable co. whose other waxes I have been experimenting with. Is this a waste of FO to try to get that much into a wax that states it will safely hold it?

I am currently using 1.5 oz/ lb and not getting the hot throw I want. Cold throw is good in most applications.

Thanks!

I ordered soy wax that has a 15% FO hold from a reputable co. whose other waxes I have been experimenting with. Is this a waste of FO to try to get that much into a wax that states it will safely hold it?

I am currently using 1.5 oz/ lb and not getting the hot throw I want. Cold throw is good in most applications.

Thanks!

Yes, total waste. If your FO is not throwing at 8%, forget it. FO performance is also wax dependent. It may not be a great thrower, or it does not like your wax.

There are so many things that can affect hot throw... quality of oil, ability of oil to work in your particular wax (and this seems to vary from one chandler to another), wick, jar. Thus is the joy of soy wax... finding the right combination that will work for you and you alone. The answer isn't to keep adding more and more FO though. That will lead to worse consequences.

joy boys: If you are using soy and not getting a hot throw, then those FO's aren't good for soy. Some just don't mesh well :)

I still don't know if it's a wicking problem either as I have a HUGE assortment of diff types of wicks. Ah, the more the merrier! I haven't yet used a FO that didn't say it was "not soy friendly"-- maybe it's the info I am NOT getting on the FO's.....

Thanks for the help!