3" pillar........Wicking I can't get it sorted.HELP Please

I'm making 3" pillars ATM. The candles look spot on but I can't find the correct wick. BTW the candles are 100% paraffin with a minimum of colour (baby pink) and no FO. I am setting the candles with a bamboo stick to allow me to changes the wicks quickly.

I started with LX26 which according to my chart should be good up to 3 1/2". I get a melt pool diameter of 2". Stepped up to LX30 ........No change. Tried stepping down to LX22...1" pool. Double wicked LX22 ..not a lot of change there.

Then I tried ECO14.....Nope! Then 3X28C cotton core. Nope!!:embarasse

I am about out of options now. All I want is a melt pool that will take it to within about 1/4" of the edge.

Ian

Do yo have a 24 or 27 flat ply to try? I'd start with the 27.

Sorry no flatwick. the sizes I've found go from 3X6 to 3X28. I don't know if this is the type that you advise, it does state that it's not suitable for scented candles though.

Ian

What paraffin are you using or at least what is the MP?

The MP is 65C (a bit high? My usual wax is 57 to 59C) This wax is a batch I got from Hobbycraft in the UK. I don't like it at all (well overpriced too). I found that straight it had frosted looking flaws showing and have added 25% container wax to it to give a clean effect.

In mitigation I was using up some birthday vouchers. I won't be back there though.:rolleyes:

Ian

The MP is 65C (a bit high? My usual wax is 57 to 59C)

One of the critical things in making paraffin candles is choosing the correct material for the application. Your usual paraffin isn't very suitable and this one is highly unsuitable. For unfragranced candles you should use far smaller wicks than these in combination with a paraffin that melts at 54-55 C. To that you can add 2 or 3 tablespoons of stearin per pound for better appearance and mold release.

One of the critical things in making paraffin candles is choosing the correct material for the application. Your usual paraffin isn't very suitable and this one is highly unsuitable. For unfragranced candles you should use far smaller wicks than these in combination with a paraffin that melts at 54-55 C. To that you can add 2 or 3 tablespoons of stearin per pound for better appearance and mold release.

I've done a search on UK available paraffin waxes and the only product that has a MP around 54C is a container blend.

Ian

Yes I understand. I've looked at the UK suppliers and most of the plain paraffin they sell is all the same mid-melt thing. However I thought you should know how such a candle is properly made.

I would certainly abandon the high-melt wax for this purpose. If you use your mid-melt wax, I think the wick size you need will tend to produce too large a flame. One work-around is to add mineral oil to the wax along with some Vybar. This is far from an ideal solution as the candle will not burn nearly as well when infused with oil.

On a few occasions I've noticed the website of what appears to be a UK wax refiner offering a complete range of materials. You can try to turn it up with a web search. I don't know if anyone has tried speaking with them, but maybe some begging and pleading would inspire them to sell you modest amounts of paraffin.

Thanks for your help Topof...

I'll keep looking for a LMP pillar blend. Candle supplies in the UK are a challenge to be sure. I'll not be getting any more of the 65C stuff, not the least it almost cost the equivalent of 4 US$ per pound.

May be worth trying the mineral oil thing. However what is mineral oil? Is liquid paraffin oil this? If it inhibits the burn of the candle I'm not sure it's the way to go though.

On your final point, I think I've seen the website you describe. No info of any help on the site TBH.

Ian

They would be selling wax by the pallet or truckload, but it can be a person-to-person thing. If you get the right individual on the phone they might do you a favor.

Your high MP material could work for hurricanes or everlasting candles.

The definition of liquid paraffin differs and I think differs in particular between the US and UK. That's probably not what I'm referring to. In fact it might be dangerous.

Mineral oil is also called commonly called white oil. Candle suppliers sometimes sell it overpriced as snowflake or mottling oil. Typically you could find some in the pharmacy with the laxatives, as that is an old-fashioned use for it. It's also fragranced and sold as baby oil, but you would want it plain.

Mineral oil....... .......also fragranced and sold as baby oil, but you would want it plain.

Sorry to butt in guys, but now you have me curious Top... can baby oil (ie Johnson & Johnson) be used in pillars? With 4045H or 1274? As a fragrance? This would save me a small fortune in FO's for the baby shower candles I have coming up.... :o

Sorry to butt in guys, but now you have me curious Top... can baby oil (ie Johnson & Johnson) be used in pillars? With 4045H or 1274? As a fragrance? This would save me a small fortune in FO's for the baby shower candles I have coming up.... :o

I'd hesitate to burn an unknown thing like that, but in any event it would be a very low fragrance concentration in the candle.

I'd hesitate to burn an unknown thing like that, but in any event it would be a very low fragrance concentration in the candle.

I thought it was too good to be true. If it was safe to burn, and had a decent scent throw, I guess there would be no need for all the baby powder and similar scents that are out there, and I would have heard about using baby oil before now. :(

Oh well... I'll just stop being a cheapskate and buy the good stuff! ;)

I thought it was too good to be true. If it was safe to burn, and had a decent scent throw, I guess there would be no need for all the baby powder and similar scents that are out there, and I would have heard about using baby oil before now. :(

If the fragrance is soluble in mineral oil it's presumably wax compatible. There's no particular reason to think it's dangerous to burn. But think of it this way...you could achieve even more cost savings by diluting any gel-compatible FO with 95+ percent mineral oil out of a big 5 gallon pail.

...you could achieve even more cost savings by diluting any gel-compatible FO with 95+ percent mineral oil out of a big 5 gallon pail.

That's true. Although the baby oil I use seems to have an incredibly strong scent, and smells as though it would be stronger than me mixing mineral oil and FO. :undecided

Okay, that's it...I hate not testing things for myself, and now that I know that it's safe to burn, I'm going to have to make a candle with baby oil before the weekend's over! :D

The MP is 65C (a bit high? My usual wax is 57 to 59C) This wax is a batch I got from Hobbycraft in the UK. I don't like it at all (well overpriced too). I found that straight it had frosted looking flaws showing and have added 25% container wax to it to give a clean effect.

In mitigation I was using up some birthday vouchers. I won't be back there though.:rolleyes:

Ian

Hi Ian

I live in the UK, I use the 57-59C Wax too, I have some wicks that are great for this wax, not tried it in the 65C wax but you are more than welcome to give them a try, pm me your address and i'll send you a couple out (free) :highfive: hth

Gaynor