how to make a folded label

I was wondering how will I make a folded label. I might be calling it the wrong name but it is the type that you put on a cello bag when you fold it down. Is is like doing a gift tag or something? I am trying to put some on my bags and it is not coming out right. Thanks

If I'm understanding you correctly, I make mine with MS Word. I measure the width of my bag, then use the columns feature (I usually have 3).

Then I insert a text box for the "front." Put my text in. Underneath that box I insert another text box. I insert my text and then use the rotate feature to turn it upside down.

Once I have what I want, I copy/paste for a full sheet of "labels" and use a cutter to cut them out individually. I put my product in the bags, fold the "label" in half, and staple. It's kinda like a "sandwich board" sign.

Lol... nice to know im not the only one employing that rotate trick! I haven't figured out how to perfect the size using a column feature though. I just kind of wing it because I use one size of bag so far. I print out a test draft with a few rectangles and check it against the bag. If it is right I copy and paste that SAME rectangle to be sure that each one is the exact size. Then I keep the file and reuse- then rename it each time I make a different label. The front of the label would be the rectangle on the bottom... the back with the ingredients would be the upside down on top top so that when it folds over it's all pointing right. I fold the bag top over a few times and then staple the very middle top. If I were hanging this and wanted a hole, It works great to place it here because it's right under the support of the staple. Also make sure to use cardstock for best results. :grin2:

blazerina, if you are using Word: (an example)

Click File then page setup; set top, bottom, left, right margins to .5

Click format then columns; then choose 3; it will automatically set defaults. The default gutter is usually .5 inch. I decrease this to .2 or .3 for more room; Since my paper is only 8.5 wide, I adjust each column width to the max it will fit.

If using a wider bag, you will probably only be able to do 2 columns. It's very easy to manipulate the width of your columns and gutter space.

Yes, I meant to say to print on cardstock. Lots of times I will have just a little left after bottling the milk bath salts and package these as samples or "try me" sizes in the cello bags and use these. You can also insert graphics and whatever else you want in the text boxes.

blazerina, if you are using Word: (an example)

Click File then page setup; set top, bottom, left, right margins to .5

Click format then columns; then choose 3; it will automatically set defaults. The default gutter is usually .5 inch. I decrease this to .2 or .3 for more room; Since my paper is only 8.5 wide, I adjust each column width to the max it will fit.

If using a wider bag, you will probably only be able to do 2 columns. It's very easy to manipulate the width of your columns and gutter space.

Yes, I meant to say to print on cardstock. Lots of times I will have just a little left after bottling the milk bath salts and package these as samples or "try me" sizes in the cello bags and use these. You can also insert graphics and whatever else you want in the text boxes.

Great instructions, Luci! Thanks! :D

You can also set this up in Word with "landscape" orientation rather than "portrait." Using landscape orientation, the page is 11-1/2 inches wide and 8-1/2 inches high - allows more columns that way.

I have been experimenting with this lately. I recently took colored card stock (looks like construction paper), cut it to fit width of cello bag, folded over and stapled to bag. Then I printed my info on a 2x4 label and stuck it to the card covering up the staples. I will post a pic as soon as I find my misplaced camera.