pipe drape questions--Tess help!

jennifer

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32466&highlight=pipe+drape

There was a thread posted a while back where Tess said that a pvc made frame was useless due to the lack of stability. I was wondering if it was the particular design used or if maybe a different design maybe this one would be sturdier? Or do you think it would be help to use metal pipes instead of pvc? I've noticed while searching that the ones that can be rented seem to be made of metal so I was curious what the general thoughts were on this?

booth1.jpg

I'm not Tess, but that frame looks like it will tip over any second. There's no stability at the base, on the bottom corners. You would need something to hold that down, IMO.

I understand that this frame while possibly a sturdy frame has no base support and would have something added for the base support what I'm realy wanting to know is if metal pipes instead of pvc pipes would make the overall frame sturdy although still in need of base support...I don't think I'm making much sense unfortunately.

The pipe/drape that I used had a heavy square piece that the pipe hooked into for the floor. I think the PVC might work if the drapes aren't very heavy, but it still seems like it would not be as stable.

I used to have a PVC clothing rack and that thing was a piece of garbage. It would actually twist and fall.

I don't know that I'm helping you with what you need, but my dh was trying to figure out a way to build a pipe/drape set with pvc also since it's lighter weight to carry around.

PVC just does not seem to be as strong, even the sch 40, as pipe. Then adjustability comes in. Booths are not always 10x10. 8' of fabric hanging on them will bow the top a bit unless they are the heavier pvc. Only way to find out is to just do it. Base does need to be more stable than the picture shows.. that looks like it would fall if someone bumps it.. and they will. I spent some time thinking about using pvc and just couldn't design around the issues brought up on here.

I think I would just rent like trish did. It might be more expensive in the long run but it's just something else you don't have to tote around. JMO

Putting up - tearing down.....more time consuming also. plus I am sure your going to be tired after a show anyway and who wants to mess with something else to tear down? Again JMO

Pipe & Drape systems are metal and come in different widths & heights and either non-adjustable or telescoping. The fabric panals are 100% poloyster and you usually use 3 times the width for a nice gathered look or you can have flat panels.

I have made PVC P&D before but had to use 2" pipe because anything less will bow, from the weight of gathered fabric, and you can't go wider than 6' or taller than 10'. You also need large heave bases for the corners like 12" or larger.

Here is what a P&D system looks like and a close-up of the bases.

BTW - If you know your space will be 10X10 then you could add an extra brace in the center at 5'.

post-219-139458424609_thumb.jpg

post-219-139458424611_thumb.jpg

I think I would just rent like trish did. It might be more expensive in the long run but it's just something else you don't have to tote around. JMO

Putting up - tearing down.....more time consuming also. plus I am sure your going to be tired after a show anyway and who wants to mess with something else to tear down? Again JMO

Renting would be nice but there really just isn't any where around here. I mean the town I'm in has 3000 people and the next closest town that's larger is a hour away.

Pipe & Drape systems are metal and come in different widths & heights and either non-adjustable or telescoping. The fabric panals are 100% poloyster and you usually use 3 times the width for a nice gathered look or you can have flat panels.

I have made PVC P&D before but had to use 2" pipe because anything less will bow, from the weight of gathered fabric, and you can't go wider than 6' or taller than 10'. You also need large heave bases for the corners like 12" or larger.

Here is what a P&D system looks like and a close-up of the bases.

BTW - If you know your space will be 10X10 then you could add an extra brace in the center at 5'.

Thanks for the pics and thoughts. I may try to do something if I can find a base of some sort that would work and I completely agree that the center would have to be braced so it would actually be small sections that connect together.