Tart Warning Labels/Clamshell Wax/packaging question

Hi! This is my 1st post although I've been lurking and trying to learn as much as I can - valuable lessons to be learned here.

I'm getting ready to start selling tarts at our local Farmer's Market, been making them for several months to test scents and wax, friends have been testing for me...still can't make up my mind what is the best, but I was wondering about tart labels - are they necessary? I've bought off Ebay awhile and never rec'd any warning labels on those tarts?

Also, I'm using a pre-blended votive wax at the moment for the tarts - it has a high MP of 200 with a pour temp of around 180 - and I've read where the desirable pouring temp for the clamshells is around 165 - what wax should I look into with the right pouring temp if I want to try the clamshells?

Sorry, but another question regarding packaging - I've read about the difference between polyethylene and polypropolene bags- that the polyeth will suck the scent, and the polypro will preserve - if I use the polypro can I single bag or is it best to double bag to make sure the scents stay in and don't intermingle? one highly regarded candle supply company sells polyethy and says it will keep the scent in? I'm confused:confused:

I'm so excited about this board:D - I had joined another and there were restrictions on naming fos/waxes- this seems so much better - I hope to learn lots more - thanks so much for your time and help!!! I actually never imagined I would venture into this - but am already addicted to fragrance oil treasure hunts and receiving my new fos - thanks again! Hope all of you are having a wonderful spring day!

Welcome aboard. I can't answer all your questions but I say 'yes' to warning labels on your tarts. People do crazy things.

Here is what I put on mine:

• Remove wax from plastic before melting.
  • Never leave melting wax unattended / Keep out of reach of children and pets.
  • Use only in a tea-light burner or UL listed electric warmer approved for wax melts.
  • Use in a well ventilated area on a stable, heat resistant surface away from any flammable objects.
  • Do not cover, add water or melt on stovetop.
  • Use enough product to create a minimum 1/2" deep melt pool
  • Burners, melters and wax will be hot while in use. Do not touch or move until completely cooled.

HTH some...perhaps someone else will come along about the clamshells and other questions. Also, you can do a search (use the search function at the top) and you will probably find lots of threads about the clamshells and the poly thing!

Hi! Your warning labels look great - I assume you print your own?

and I just looked at KY's site and I assume it is the para-soy/tart votive blend (mp 132)? I had experimented with a soy/para blend off Ebay recommended to me and it got a bit messy for me - seemed to start to harden before I was finished and I made a mess - maybe I was doing something wrong -

Thanks so much!!! I will investigate...and

Any suggestions for wholesale tart warmers to sell with the tarts?

Sorry, but another question regarding packaging - I've read about the difference between polyethylene and polypropolene bags- that the polyeth will suck the scent, and the polypro will preserve - if I use the polypro can I single bag or is it best to double bag to make sure the scents stay in and don't intermingle? one highly regarded candle supply company sells polyethy and says it will keep the scent in? I'm confused:confused:

I started using the clamshell packaging for my wax melts. I had learned that I should use the polypro and then I went onto ICS's website since they took over Snowtops oils and figured I would order some bags and theirs says the polyeth so I emailed them and asked about the "scent sucking" and they said that is not true about the polyeth sucking the scent out so I don't know anymore what is true or not LOL (on their site they say the opposite about polypro so that really confused me) but you don't need to double bag your melts (tarts) I never had a problem with them when I use to make them that way before going to clamshell packaging.

Sorry I wasn't much help on that subject, just thought I'd let ya know what I was told also :undecided

Sandy~WI

Casey2, did you try warming your pour pot? I don't do huge batches and use a pyrex measuring cup. I warm the cup in the oven before putting my melted wax in it.

I like the tart/votive wax from KY because it is in granular form and easy to work with. I don't find it messy at all.

Hi Sandy - ICS is the site where I saw the polyethy bags and it confused me...lol...so I'm not sure either...but am glad to hear about not double bagging....curious what wax you use for your clamshells and where you order the clamshells? right now, I have about a 1 oz tart - and was wondering what size the tarts are in the clamshells? and would you mind telling me how much you charge for your clamshells? I really like making my tarts from silicone molds, but thought I could get a little more product out there using the clamshells...Thanks so much!! Blessings to you and yours

yup, I'm with Luci.

I use Pyrex for pouring everything. I have every size Pyrex there is.

They come in handy.

And also if you don't want to warm it in oven.

You can zap it with the heat gun. Works just as good.

I always pour my clamshells at 160.

i use what ever wax I have around for my clamshells at the moment. As long as it's a votive or pillar type.

I usually mix a pillar with some soy to give it a creamier look and nicer melt.

I never use straight paraffin tho. Just my choice...

I have stayed away from Pyrex since they started being manufactured by World Kitchen out of soda-lime glass instead of the original borosilicate. The new Pyrex stuff seems more prone to exploding on impact and temperature change now.

Wow I didn't know that. When did that happen?

And you know, that has happened to me.

Not in oven, but I dropped a few and they just shattered in zillions of pieces.

You can also print up your own caution labels for your tarts if you want. Doesn't matter where you get them, as long as you use them. You always want to make sure people know about the warnings, you'd be surprised what some people will do, claiming they just didn't know. At least if you've tried to educate them, you can sleep at night. If they don't want to read it then that's something you have no control over.

Levine is a great place for tart warmers. I think there is a co-op going on right now for them.

As far as the polyeth bags sucking out the scent, my experience is they DO. I had about 6 baggies with tarts in them that sat in a box for about 6 months. They were tarts I have used to experiment with and forgot about them. One day I came across them and I could smell the scent on the baggies, but the tarts themselves had no scent.

I wrap my tarts in polypro and had never had that problem.

HTH

That bites.

Doesn't Corning make anything anymore?

Oh and thanx for that info

I used to work for World Kitchen, Corning originally bought out Ekco Housewares in 1998 and then they turned themselves into WKI (World Kitchen Inc.) The whole company went to shit after Corning bought them.

I refuse to use any products by them anymore, the quality has gone downhill steadily.

As far as the polyeth bags sucking out the scent, my experience is they DO. I had about 6 baggies with tarts in them that sat in a box for about 6 months. I wrap my tarts in polypro and had never had that problem.

HTH

I agree with this too. I made some Bath Milk and forgot about the bag rule and made some individual samples, a couple weeks ater the scent was completely gone. Had to throw out a bunch...major bummer.