New here, with a book question...

Hello! :grin2: Great forum! I love doing many types of crafts, but I have recently become interested in learning how to make candles, so I thought I would read up on it first. What are some of the best books available to teach a newbie like me? Any other learning tips would also be welcomed and appreciated! :D ( <<< This emoticon by itself is enough reason to join this forum!)

Mary <><

Hi Mary,

Welcome! I, too, started searching on the internet about 5 months ago for a book on how to make candles. Instead, I ended up ordering a kit from Cajun Candle Factory and have been addicted ever since. There is so much information here that I didn't need a book. I have since made all sorts of things that I never even dreamed I'd be making. And having the time of my life, to boot!

Good luck,

Valerie

I love getting books on subjects I'm interested in and have bought several on candle making.. but have been a bit dissappointed in all of them. Spend time here on the boards going back over the old posts and you will learn tons. Then buy a kit and make a few. If you get hooked [ and you will :D ] the info you have found here should help you decide on waxes, wicks and such to try and start the really fun part.. testing! Locating suppliers close to you is going to be the big thing and the determining factor on wax choice. Shipping can get ugly fast so finding suppliers close by will be economically wise. Welcome to your new hobby [aka addiction ]:wink2:

Welcome to the CT family Mary. I'm a firm believer in good books to learn the basics. The best one I've found is The Complete Candlemaker by Norma Coney. My local library had this book so I was able to look thru it before buying. It covers the terminology, additives, types of candles, molds, wicks, waxes and safety.

Buying a beginners kit is a good way to start. Peak, who sponsors this board had several good ones.

Most importantly - Have Fun :drool:

Here are a couple of books that helped me a lot...

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Candlemaking-Techniques-Step-Step/dp/0762406011/ref=sr_1_4/104-6479009-4824728?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176474940&sr=8-4

and

http://www.amazon.com/Candlemakers-Companion-Complete-Rolling-Decorating/dp/1580173667/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-6479009-4824728?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176475055&sr=1-1

I still use both of them from time to time when I want to try something new.

Have a great time! I do suggest like others did to figure out what kind of candle you want to start with and then get a starter kit. Best way to go!

Mary....welcome to our wacky world....it does get wacky...you will see if you hang here long enough (smile)....Sharyl is correct. That is a good book. It has a good additive chart too. However I don't agree with the amount of stearic she uses....but that is subjective. Go to Amazon and search candle books....and don't judge by the cover. There are some useless books out there with pretty pictures.

I recommend The Complete Candlemaker by Norma Coney and an old old little book called Easy-to-Make Candles by Gary V Guy. But of course the best instructions you will find out right here on Candletech. You can pick the brains of thousands of people......doesn't get much better than that.

Donita Louise

Hi and welcome. I have been making candles for about 4 months. I also found the cajun candle sight and read thru everything they had and then bought their container candle kit, and now I'm hooked. They are good about answering questions too. But you will learn so much more on this forum. Everyone is willing to answer any questions you have or help you figure out any problems you have.

Happy candle making.