1st time....no hot throw! Grrrr....

Okay, well I just got done burning my first container candle....no hot throw!! And so the challenge begins....

I'm using Ky Perfect Blend, 6% FO (spiced orange peel), and RRD 37 wick in a 4x3 votive container.

After a 3-hour burn, I had a full melt pool about 1/2" deep, but absolutely no scent throw whatsoever! Is this a wick issue? If so, TOP warned me about this....

Would love some suggestions....

Not sure what the cure time is on that particular wax but many candles need to cure for a couple of weeks b/c the hot throw really kicks in. Try burning the candle in a bathroom with door almost closed and see if you get any hot throw at all.

Have you tried going out and coming in again?

I burned a soy tin yesterday (had a house viewing and thought mmm, they need a wonderful smell as they walk in lol)

I could only just smell it a little, but I went out later and came back after half an hour and the smell hit me as I walked in the door, and the candle was in the lounge.

Obviously don't leave it burning alone, make sure someone stays in with it :)

Well, this one cured for a week before testing....should I really wait longer?

This particular fragrance doesn't have the strongest scent of the ones I've used, but when I was zapping the top of it to seal in the wick, boy it was yummy. So, yes, I was a little saddened when I couldn't smell it.

I'll also try to burn it in a smaller room....

One other thing I'm unsure of is how much FO I can actually use without using too much. The lady I bought them from on ebay was cleaning out her supplies and she "said" she had bought these from places like C&S, BC, etc. How would I know how much is too much without exactly know where the FO came from?

Well, this one cured for a week before testing....should I really wait longer?

One other thing I'm unsure of is how much FO I can actually use without using too much. The lady I bought them from on ebay was cleaning out her supplies and she "said" she had bought these from places like C&S, BC, etc. How would I know how much is too much without exactly know where the FO came from?

IMO, a week is too long to wait. I would rather not carry an FO that doesn't throw after a day or two. But that's just me. Others are willing to wait two weeks.

Without knowing where the FO came from, I think you're ok with your 6% load, but you might be able to go up to 8%. There are other companies with more potent FO's that need half that much, but these oils are more expensive.

What temp do you add your FO at? And how long did you stir? Those to things are usually the problem for no hot throw. I add my FO at 180, and stir for a good 3 minutes. Hopefully you just have candlenose. Another thing could be that the FO you bought is to old and has lost some of its strength. You could also try a different kind of wick, I am not familiar with that wax so maybe someone can make a suggestion.

Well, my wax says to heat to 175, so as soon as I remove it from the heat, I immediately add my FO & dye and stir until it cools enough to pour...I'm anal about stirring. :)

I think I'm going to just up my FO on that particular fragrance next time.