Can I add a wick now?

Last week, I poured a wickless candle into a votive jar (approx 4" high x 3" wide). While waiting to cure, I went to Wally World and found the little squatty Ball Elite jars that are more suitable for a candle warmer.

Just out of curiosity, is it now possible for me to somehow add a tester wick to this other candle I've already poured? I realize that I can't "attach" one to the bottom, but is there possibly a way for me to melt the wax a little and insert one for testing? I just happen to read somewhere that people will put wicks in (without the tab) and if they don't like it, they pull it out and put another one in.

Just wondering if I can do this with this candle, and if so, how?

Many thanks!

Amber

Last week, I poured a wickless candle into a votive jar (approx 4" high x 3" wide). While waiting to cure, I went to Wally World and found the little squatty Ball Elite jars that are more suitable for a candle warmer.

Just out of curiosity, is it now possible for me to somehow add a tester wick to this other candle I've already poured? I realize that I can't "attach" one to the bottom, but is there possibly a way for me to melt the wax a little and insert one for testing? I just happen to read somewhere that people will put wicks in (without the tab) and if they don't like it, they pull it out and put another one in.

Just wondering if I can do this with this candle, and if so, how?

Many thanks!

Amber

My personnal opinion is, you always want to have a secured wick for safety purposes. without a tab, I would think once the wax was melted your wick will move, and drown out your flame.

I would just melt the wax again, using alittle water in a sauce pan, and just putting your candle in their to sit and melt, then pour it into a wicked container.

When I test I don't used a tabbed wick. That way I can easily remove a wick and wick up or down depending on the type of burn I get. I obviously monitor them closely wanting to see how they burn so safety isn' really an issue - besides, the wick mostly falls over by the time it is about 3/4 inch long and extinguishes itself in the wax at the end of the burn.

HTH

Yup just poke a hole and stick it in.

When changing wicks, melt the top to flatten it out and start over.

Once you know what wick to use for that jar and fragrance, in the future you can secure a wick before pouring the wax.

That all makes it sound pretty straightforward. Just be aware it can get more complicated than it sounds. If a wick is in the ballpark you'll have to burn the candle down 3 hours at a time to really see how it's working. Also there's no guarantee the amount of fragrance oil you used is right for both scent throw and burn qualilty. You might have to make more testers to get the design worked out. So be prepared to regret ever adding a wick. ;)

Yup just poke a hole and stick it in.

When changing wicks, melt the top to flatten it out and start over.

Once you know what wick to use for that jar and fragrance, in the future you can secure a wick before pouring the wax.

That all makes it sound pretty straightforward. Just be aware it can get more complicated than it sounds. If a wick is in the ballpark you'll have to burn the candle down 3 hours at a time to really see how it's working. Also there's no guarantee the amount of fragrance oil you used is right for both scent throw and burn qualilty. You might have to make more testers to get the design worked out. So be prepared to regret ever adding a wick. ;)

Thanks top!! I have a feeling I'm in big trouble, but I bought a sample pack of wicks and don't want them to go to waste. If I have nothing but problems, then I'll just stick to wickless and tarts!! :)

Again, I appreciate the help...

Good luck Amber. What wicks are you gonna try?

The first one being put in is RRD 37 (came from ebay)....the wick sample kit I have includes CD wicks, zinc core wicks, and HTP wicks. I'm hoping something out of all that will work. :) Thanks for the encouragement...

I use 100% soy (GB 415). I have also used KY 125. I use the wide mouth mason jars that have a 3 inch diameter.

I have found for me the RRD 47 and the CD 16's work great in these jars.

The only wax I have used so far that I really have to go up another wick size or two is my GB 444 wax.

You might want to try a little bigger wick to test with like the RRD 40, RRD 47 or the CD 14 and 16. The RRD 37 didn't completely clean my 8 oz jelly jars that have a diameter of 2.5 inches.

I have a Hobby Lobby near me and found a pack that had a 6 inch wick pin and centering tool for $2.99. It's great to put in test jars for wick sizes.

Just thought I would offer my testing notes.

Happy Testing!

Jami

You might want to try a little bigger wick to test with like the RRD 40, RRD 47 or the CD 14 and 16. The RRD 37 didn't completely clean my 8 oz jelly jars that have a diameter of 2.5 inches.

I have a Hobby Lobby near me and found a pack that had a 6 inch wick pin and centering tool for $2.99. It's great to put in test jars for wick sizes.

Just thought I would offer my testing notes.

Happy Testing!

Jami

Thank you so much for that....I just lit it with the RRD 37, so I'll guess I'll know soon enough if it's big enough or not. I don't have any other size of that particular wick right now....it came with some FO that I ordered. But if it doesn't work, I've got some others to try out of a sample pack I ordered. (CD, zinc, and HTP....hopefully one will work) :)

I will be curious to see how your 37 worked for you. Please keep me posted. If it works for you, I might have to take another peek at my combinations and see if I can get the smaller wicks to work.

Good Luck!

Jami