Newbie with a few questions????

Hi my name is Mindy, I just started making candles, heck i haven't really got to test them and I have some people that want some, I gave a couple to my dentist, just to try them out for me (lol he loves candles), jar candles of course. Well anywho, I have had a few people ask me if i could make a 3 wick candle for them.

1) how hard is it to make a 3 wick candle???

2) how long should it stay in the mold???

I haven't even tried to make a pillar candle yet, any kind of candle i made has been in a jar, and still trying to master that.

I already sold a chunky candle that i made, i didn't mean to, i took it to work, and one of the ladies made a big fuss over it and gave me $10 for it. Now she wants more to give to her family for the holidays.

I use soy wax with hemp wicks. I'm trying the natural way but i have had alot of people want parrifin(?) which one in your opinion is easiest to make?

Thanks a bunch,

Mindy :)

Just wanted to say a quick hello and welcome to candlemaking!

I usually use paraffin wax (IGI4786 for containers, IGI4794 for votives and tarts). I have tried two types of soy and cant say that I was comfortable using either. I have been making candles for about 3 years now and am finally thinking about starting pillars. I believe I have a wonderful product with the three types I make now and feel I am ready to begin the next.

Dont rush yourself to please others. If you try something you arent comfortable doing, you introduce the risk of selling or giving something away that isnt of the highest quality that you can make. Take it slow and test, test, test!

Again, welcome.........good luck with the candles and let us know how it has been going.

Pam

Howdy Mindy and Welcome to the board :)

First off, I would highly recommend that you don't even give any candles away before they're thoroughly tested, let alone sell them. For three main reasons... 1. You don't want to burn someones house down. 2. In the interest of your future business, if they don't burn great all the way down, they wont be back to buy more. 3. If you sell an untested candle and something happens, you may be held responsible legally.

Testing is a long, tedious, but necessary proceess. Don't take shortcuts, no matter what others may want from you. It's your name you're putting on the line, not thiers. Every wax, wick, new jar, different FO, each additives... all need to be tested. In every combination you use, with each change.

As for waxes, you'll get different opinions on which is easiest/better. The only way you'll know what is right for you is to research and test them yourself.

Starting out on pillars, I would advise learning how they work, how to wick, how they should burn, etc with a standard 3"/1 wick pillar. Learning the basics first is a good rule of thumb.

I have been testing my candles and my mom has helped me to, I just wanted to start making candles for myself as a hobby, I didn't want to sell any, believe me i have tested every candle that i have made, its sad but i'm a home health aide, and while i'm at m clients house i test my candles, i figure i'm there for 9 hours, might as well have her house smelling nice, and kill 2 birds with one stone.

Thanks for all the info, I have tried 2 types of soy and haven't been pleased with them. Yep Pariffin(?) is asked for, especially in decorated containers, they say it looks a heck of alot better than soy.

Thanks for all your help and info,

Mindy :)