Why does this happen?

My hubby and I decided to make some candles today.

We used Nature Wax C3 Soy.

RedCurrantSoyCandle.jpg

The candle is scented with Red Currant FO and colored with some shavings off of a color block (I know....the speckles are because some of the shavings didn't melt all the way...)

They weren't moved or disturbed at all...

We made some other candles and scented them with Vaniglia Del Madagascar and didn't color them...they turned out beautifully.

So...what causes this cave in?:confused:

Thanks!

Jen

I only have the wax crack & pull from the wicks when it's cold. You can either top off with another layer of wax or hit it w/ a heat gun. I top off. Also, I know the specks are a fluke & technically not correct, but I like the look Probably not good for the wick though, might cause clogging when you burn.

Susan.

My hubby and I decided to make some candles today.

We used Nature Wax C3 Soy.

RedCurrantSoyCandle.jpg

The candle is scented with Red Currant FO and colored with some shavings off of a color block (I know....the speckles are because some of the shavings didn't melt all the way...)

They weren't moved or disturbed at all...

We made some other candles and scented them with Vaniglia Del Madagascar and didn't color them...they turned out beautifully.

So...what causes this cave in?:confused:

Thanks!

Jen

The specks occur when not stirring the wax after adding color- you have to add the shavings when the wax is around 170 degrees.

The caving happens with wax... I've found two ways to avoid most of the blemishes that are characteristic with soy- pour at 100-110 degrees, or buy a heat gun (I got mine at home depot) and blast them with it for a few seconds the next day.

I bought a heat gun. Quickens up processing time. :) Good luck!:yay:

I have never seen that happen to the top of the candle, but looks as though it wasn't properly stirred to melt all the color shavings as mentioned before. I find the wax will cure quickly when the room is cool and this causes a crack where maybe an air pocket is. Just experimenting with your wax will give you a better feel on what you need to do.

That crack is pretty characteristic of C-3, which I used to use. And I'd advise against pouring C-3 cool, from the research I've done you are supposed to pour it hot. I'd just heat the top with a heat gun to smooth it out.

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for all the input!

We followed the instructions on the Lonestar Candle Supply site and poured at approx 150 degrees. I hit it with a heat gun today and it smoothed out fairly well....I suspect an overpour would give the more desired result of a super smooth top.

As for the little specks, I really think it is just because the little shavings didnt fully melt or get fully stirred into the wax. My hubby was getting antsy about me stirring "too long"....so I went against my gut feeling and poured it!

It reminds me of the speckled robins egg candies!

I won't know about the scent throw (hot) until I let it cure a while....which drives me nuts! I am an instant gratification kind of gal!! I am learning the value of patience with soap making and now candle making!! :embarasse

Thanks again for all your great advice and ideas!

Peace,

Jen