Have 32 oz Mason Jars...now what?

I think I've lost my mind! (is that normal here?) :D My original plan was to just make tarts and wickless candles, but I hit the yard sales yesterday and when I got back home, there were four boxes of 32 oz mason jars in my jeep....guess that means my "wanna be a candlemaker" identity took over when I wasn't looking and bought them.

Now that I'm stuck with the jars, guess I'll have to venture into a pile of wicks after all. I have ordered some KY Perfect Blend container wax that should be arriving in a few days.

I currently have no wicks, but this is where you guys come in....

The jars are just the standard 32 oz (no wide mouth). Would like to know what size and type of wick you recommend for these? Also, should these be double wicked?

I hope these jars aren't too big for a beginner....:undecided

Any recommendations, tips, or advice is welcome.....thank you!!

I have to agree with Scent Celler, a quart size jar is awfully big to start out with. Besides the fact that it will take a lot of wax and FO and will be very expensive to do all the testing. Canning jars a usually pretty inexpensive at places like Walmart, if it were me I would go get some pint jars and start out from there. JMHO

Just great! Now I could kill my "wanna be a candlemaker" identity!! :mad: Guess I'll just store them away until I get better at this.

Luckily, some of the jars mixed in were 12 oz wide mouth mason jars. Are these also too big to start out with?

thanks for your honest replies....

12 oz would be a much more manageable size to start out with. You won't use all your supplies up so fast, and can you imagine how long it would take to test burn a quart size candle all the way to the bottom :whistle: Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

12 oz would be a much more manageable size to start out with. You won't use all your supplies up so fast, and can you imagine how long it would take to test burn a quart size candle all the way to the bottom :whistle: Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

Well, good....now that we have that established, what size and type of wick should I use? Just a reminder, I'll be using KY Perfect Blend....

Hang on to those jars. I have started using mine to store sachet and scented rocks in. They are perfect for that.

Yup, that is what we use ours for...to mix the aroma beads in and store.

Good Luck with your candlemaking!

Well, now that you MADE me read these....what exactly do you do with these creations? Do they just sit out like an air freshener or what?

Well, now that you MADE me read these....what exactly do you do with these creations? Do they just sit out like an air freshener or what?

:laugh2: :laugh2:

You can use them as air freshners and put them in various things. I can't wait to make Marysj ornies!

Another suggestion someone on here had was not to attach the wick to the bottom of the container. That way after testing one size wick, if that didn't work, to put another size in there, etc. HTH

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I do this? If you don't attach a wick to the bottom, where do you attach it?

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I do this? If you don't attach a wick to the bottom, where do you attach it?

For testing purposes, you can pour a candle without a wick. Once it has completely set, you poke a hole in the center using a skewer. Put the wick of choice in (no tab), trim wick, and heat gun lightly in place. Once it has set yet again, you're ready to test that wick. If you find that it doesn't work well --too much hang up, too hot, etc-- you yank it out, heat gun the hang up (if any) to erase memory of previous burn then wait till it sets. When ready, repeat process of putting in another wick.

For testing purposes, you can pour a candle without a wick. Once it has completely set, you poke a hole in the center using a skewer. Put the wick of choice in (no tab), trim wick, and heat gun lightly in place. Once it has set yet again, you're ready to test that wick. If you find that it doesn't work well --too much hang up, too hot, etc-- you yank it out, heat gun the hang up (if any) to erase memory of previous burn then wait till it sets. When ready, repeat process of putting in another wick.

Thank you so much tangerine!!!! Will definitely try that!!!