Testing scents

I know these are probably really dumb questions for those of you who have been making candles for a long time....but I'm really blonde and it is natural:D . All these questions are for 3" pillar candles. I get a great cold and hot scent throw with Creme Brulee...(wax 4625, zinc wick, 6% FO) but the other FO that I have tried are dead. These include plumeria, pear glace', and mulberry.(all FO purchased from Cajun) I've tested from 1 oz per pound to 1.5 oz per pound. Is is possible that I need a larger wick for certain scents? I was thinking of trying a flat braid 30. Do different FO require that you pour at hotter or cooler temps? I heat to 180, add FO at 170-175, stir for 2-3 min., and pour at 165. Please help me....I'm drowning in my own confusion.

How long are you letting the candles cure before lighting?

Is the meltpool the same size for all the candles or is the creme brulee larger?

Have you checked with Cajun about the right fo pour temp for each individual fo?

Just some things to think about...

Thank you all so much in advance.

My melt pool is about the same for each FO.

I usually let candle cure for 24 hours (I read this on some website...)

I did contact Cajun and he led me to believe that I am suppose to pour all FO at around 165-170. Since I am so new at this I have never even considered pouring different FO at different temps. If I'm not getting a scent throw would it be more feasible to lower the pouring temp or raising it?

Thanks again~

You might try a higher temp. to add the FO. Try 180 or 185. Some FO's don't bind with the wax well enough at a lower temp. Even though you may not be getting seepage at the lower temp it can make a difference with throw. Also, are you using additives such as vybar or polybar? Too much can lock up your scent. You may also find that a longer cure time is helpful. I have had candles with little throw get much much stronger after several weeks of curing. There is no definate solution in most cases...some FO's just don't work well with some waxes...and there are many variables to work out. Keep trying.

Janette

Thank you so much.

I tried getting on the IGI website and my computer shuts down each time...

I'm going to order some flat braid 30 and continue testing. Also going to adjust my pouring temps. Now I don't feel so lost.

Thanks again...

I'm not familar with that wax, but if it is a blend then it will already have the additives in it, you won't want to add more. The FO will not disappear at 180/185. You won't be having at that temp for long, just until you get it well stirred in. Give it a try and see if it helps. I have repoured candles that were ugly and not lost the scent. It takes a long time to cook out scent. HTH

Janette

I don't use the same wax but I found a huge diff in the blending of fo when I poured at 185 vs. 175.

You may know this already but you pobably won't get as great a hot throw with pillars as opposed to container candles, since the meltpool is larger in a container candle. Just thought I would mention that since you are new and that is one thing I learned when I was new. If you are expecting to get the same hot throw as in some container candles you are used to, it won't be the same.