Jar cleaning suggestions?

HI, I am using the jelly jars with the IGI 4627 wax. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to clean out the jars when the candle is down? I am offering a discount price for refills and want suggestions for the cleaning out process................any help would be greatly appreciated.

What I do to clean my jars is...melt the remaining wax with my heat gun until it fully liquified...then pour it onto to a piece of newspaper or a paper plate. Then I wipe out as much residue as I can with a paper towel...but there is usually some that films over as it cools and remains in the container. Next I take a green scrubbie pad and load it with dish detergent and a little water and scrub the rest of it out...rinse and let air dry. This is what works for me. Others put them upside down on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven to melt out the wax. I'm very frugal...I hate to heat up my oven and waste electricity since out electric bills are quite high...that's why I use the heat gun method.

Just be careful refilling used jars. Remember these jars have already been exposed to high temperatures, for long periods of time, while the candle was burning. Sometimes subjecting the same jar to the stress of burning a second candle in it is too much and will cause the jar to crack. :wink2:

Just be careful refilling used jars. Remember these jars have already been exposed to high temperatures, for long periods of time, while the candle was burning. Sometimes subjecting the same jar to the stress of burning a second candle in it is too much and will cause the jar to crack. :wink2:

Wow, that is good to know. I was thinking of offering a discount on refills too. Knowing that the jar may not work as well the second time, would you recommend still doing the refills?

I thought about that as well, when I first started making candles, but decided against it. So, my own personal preference is no, I would not refill them. I guess it is up to the individual candle maker. But personally, I wouldn't want to take the chance.

edited to add: you never know how long of a period of time each person burned the candle. Maybe they were a power burner and subjected the jar to many hours of heat. Maybe they never trimmed the wick and the jar was too hot every time they burned the candle. Just some of the unknown things to think about.

you never know how long of a period of time each person burned the candle. Maybe they were a power burner and subjected the jar to many hours of heat. Maybe they never trimmed the wick and the jar was too hot every time they burned the candle. Just some of the unknown things to think about.
I agree. Just because all the instructions are on our label, they may be disobedient and not follow those instructions. I'd like to try and make my candles as idiot proof as possible. So I'm going to reconsider doing those refills.

I haven't had any experiences with any of my jars breaking after being used before, but I used to do alot of canning (in my younger years) with the mason jars. I used those jars over and over through the years. Never had a problem with them breaking because of being used before.

Guest ShellyRobyn
I haven't had any experiences with any of my jars breaking after being used before, but I used to do alot of canning (in my younger years) with the mason jars. I used those jars over and over through the years. Never had a problem with them breaking because of being used before.

I agree with Lynda. I think "canning" jars are meant to be used again and again at high temps but it's all the others I would be concerned about.