Should I go to Farmer's Market?

Caroline

I was planning on going to Farmer's Market with soap (melt and pour) lip balm, bath salts, milk bath, crack salve, etc. A whole line of bath and body products. They called me back today and said that I can come, but only with soap and lip balm. They want more people with produce. I don't understand if they are letting soap and lip balm come, why they aren't letting the other stuff, but that's what they said. The fee is $100 for the season for Saturday morning, and it is a nice town with some $$$ in it. But should I go with just soap and lip balm? How many of you go to market with just soap? I really want to go, just trying to decide if it's worth it! Caroline

For 100 dollars for the season, and if it is a decent farners market I would do it, if nothing else, you getting some of your product out there and your name and the people in town are becoming familiar with you. Take Brochures, try to book some parties or something. Have some freebies to hand out the first couple of times you go. Maybe those 2 products are perfect actually. Make some scrubbie soaps and lip balm is always big in the summer for people who spend a lot of time out side. JMO

I agree with Cindym. I would go and be sure to hand out tons of brochures and free samples. Also, if they didn't specify bar soap I would bring liquid soap, foaming bath soap, etc. (after the proper testing of course). That way you'd have several products and you'd still fit in their guidelines.:smiley2:

So take your soap and lip balm and put a small sample of one of your other products in the bag when you sell something. That way you can get em hooked on your stuff. Just make sure you also have a business card in the bag too so they know how to get a hold of you to buy more!!

They may very well already have some one that does the other stuff. Small farmers markets like to keep it to one kind of vendor out side of produce people. I know the one I serve as a board member on is that way they don't really want craft people in the first place it a fight every year just to keep the crafters we do have. They have to be nice to me because I run their web site that is also what keeps me on the board.

I'll bet it's because they already have someone selling those items. I participate in one every week here in FL and unless it's produce, they don't allow repeat vendors. My main business is candles with a few B&B items on the side. If I were you I would definitely do it. Take plenty of brochures and talk to as many people as possible. I view my participation as an inexpensive form of advertising. It has also allowed me the opportunity to polish the look of my display, come up with new ideas and allowed me to practice presentation skills prior to the bigger shows. HTH

Getting your foot in the door is the hardest part. Take the products they have limited you to, let the customers know you have other products available online, etc. You never know, they may allow you to offer the other items later on in the season.

FMs can actually be quite difficult to get into with a secondary product. Depends on how large they are and how much space they've got. I got lucky - the big FMs around here already have 2 soapers each, but I got into an Artisan Market that's right next door. Our market is $50 for the season - 6 months - and $15/day for each day you show up, so you've got a great price.

Lip balms are extremely popular - it's surprising how that can add up in a morning.