How does FO % effect burn....

Guest highflier

Guest highflier

I have a question about FO % and how it effects the burn. I have several scents that if I put a LX 22 in the jar containers the flame is burning very low and never gets over a 1/4" mp in 4-5 hours. I also notice the scent throw is not very good. Then I put in a LX 24 in those same scents and the melt pool gets deeper (9/16") in the same time period and the flame height is a little high and getting a little more heat in the jar. The scent throw is much better as well.

If I were to increase the FO % by say 1% wouldn't that cut down on the flame height and therefore lessen the melt pool. And is 1% enough to see a difference.

I have a Harvest that I've got LX 26's in and it still is having a hard time burning. I was going to take it down from 8% to 6% and try LX 24's. Is this the right way of doing this.

Thanks,

Mike

Guest highflier

Thank you so much for your information. That is what I'm trying to do before I make my final test candles. Trying to tweak each candle to get the burn I'm trying to achieve. The ones with the 22's are just not burning hot enough and when I go to the 24's the are a little hot. I was hoping that increasing the fo would slow it down so to speak.

I need to see a drop in the MP from say the 9/16" to say 1/2" and take a litte heat out of the jar. Is a 1% increase in FO enough to see a change?

Thanks again,

Mike

You might want to try 2% to see more clearly how much difference it makes with the wick you're using. You can always interpolate what a finer tweak would do.

By that I mean trying 6% FO versus 8% FO. That's a 25% decrease.

In this case, I agree with Top. Heavy, sweet or FO's with a lot of cinnamon

generally do well for me at 6% and my regular wick may struggle.

On the other hand, don't know why everyone is always jumping from 6% to 8%. 7 is a perfectly nice number that gets overlooked all the time. :smiley2: 1% absolutely can make a difference!

e

On the other hand, don't know why everyone is always jumping from 6% to 8%. 7 is a perfectly nice number that gets overlooked all the time. :smiley2: 1% absolutely can make a difference!e
Good heavens E, not 7%! I went from 6% to 7% on a container recently and all hell broke loose. Now I'm at 8% and all's well. I won't make that mistake again.