How long do fragrance oils last?

sugarysweet95

Hi, i reallly hope someone can help, i've been wandering this for ages and not quite found the answer i want.

Basically how long do FOs last in bottle, do they have like a best before date. I've got soooo many FOs now, mainly just sample ones, but am wandering if i should get on and use them up, or if i can keep them in storage for a while. I don't want to have them going off on me or anything, so whats the general consensus?

Thanks in advance

I have some FO's that I have had for years and their still good. When they go bad you will know it.

The best way to store FO's for a long period of time is transfer any FO's in plastic bottles to Amber Glass Bottles and store in a dark cool place away from moisture.

I have some FO's that I have had for years and their still good. When they go bad you will know it.

The best way to store FO's for a long period of time is transfer any FO's in plastic bottles to Amber Glass Bottles and store in a dark cool place away from moisture.

Everything Candle Man said. Another reason to transfer to glass is because the plastic bottles often don't hold up, will cave in and split. I've found this particularly true for citrus type scents and especially true for oils with low flashpoints. The low flashpoint oils seem to evaporate right before your eyes if not transferred to glass.

I don't think it matters what kind of glass you use as long as you do store it away from light. I really doubt the fos will notice they're in a recycled yahoo or snapple bottle instead of an expensive amber round bottle if they're in your dark, enclosed cabinet.

As for shelf life, I've had candy corn and caramel go bad on me within 6 months of buying them from a supplier. I also still have a perfectly good pumpkin pie fo that I bought off the classies 5 years ago.

HTHs some.