Max FO load in IGI 1343?

With straight 1343 and no additives the max FO load I found is 3/4oz per pound, any more and the FO sweats out. Of course you want to use less for heavy FO's.

Well said, Candle Man; I have used stearic + 1.5 fo in that wax, when it comes out of the mold, it has some fo on the sides, after a week of curing, that's gone, so far, i've made votives this way, and the burn has been good, but with the pillars, they tend to foliate.

The load can be increased with additives, but with plain paraffin and stearic the limit is on the order of 3 or 4 percent depending on the fragrance. FO doesn't come pouring out the sides at room temperature, but the burn qualities aren't normal. For instance I think this is the explanation for why a few people suddenly jump to outlandish sizes of LX for a 3 inch paraffin pillar.

you're right. I made another mottle with 1343 @ 3%, 2tsp stearic and I did get the same mottle effect as the 6%. I also made an error in my first formula when I didn't add any stearic. That explains the fingernailing w/o the mottle.

I test burned them side by side. The 6% pillar burns with an LX-30 , the 3% burns with a 22. The higher FO load pillar is exhibiting the characteristics that you described: lots of buldging, high wicking, and just plain funky. I'm not crazy about either burns, but I think thats a fault of my own, I tend to fall asleep while trying to keep relief holes open :rolleyes2

I'm not crazy about either burns, but I think thats a fault of my own, I tend to fall asleep while trying to keep relief holes open :rolleyes2

Nah it's not your fault. I reckon mottles are the most temperamental pillars when it comes to fragrance loading vs. burn quality. Depending on how you make them it can be hard to get the fragrance distributed evenly in the candle. Relief holes don't help that, in fact FO can puddle in them.

I think when I said 3 to 4% it was probably an overestimate for 1343. With some fragrance oils even 3% may not be ideal for a really good burn. 4% doesn't sound like a lot more but it's one third more and 33% over the comfort zone is a big deal as far as the wax is concerned.

I figured 3% was too much, still got some seepage too. Though I only add 2tsp of stearic so I'll have to play with that. Think a pinch of vybar pp will drastically effect the mottle?

I'm playing with twisting the flat braids for wicking, seems like they're controlling the bulge better...?

Think a pinch of vybar pp will drastically effect the mottle?

It will definitely affect it. If you put in a tiny amount you'll decrease the mottling and get a more patchy effect. I don't know exactly how much it'll change the burn. I haven't tried it with Vybar but I know people who have. I've tried it with other things, but the idea of designing mottles with minute quantities of additive doesn't appeal to me for some reason. I don't even like wick twisting.