Questions About Melting Pots

While I'm not a chandler, and I'm not looking at these for making candles right now, I still figured you guys would be the best ones to ask! :D

As I said, I'm not looking to use these for candle-making, but actually for lip balms. I make insane amounts of lip balms, and it's only increasing. I use the filling trays from MMS to fill my tubes, however, they still work best when they're poured directly into the tubes. They're still in the tray, but if you just pour onto the tray, it doesn't always completely "funnel" into the holes. And the tray can overflow. I love the trays, but I've found I still need a fairly precise pouring spout on my container. I've been looking at candle wax melting pots, and as long as they have the right type of pouring spout (more narrow, like a juice pitcher, I think they'll work well. Right now, I'm melting in a larger pot, then using a pyrex measuring cup (with the pouring spout) to actually do the pouring. So I've got twice the clean up. And it's driving me nuts. So first, I guess, I was wondering if anyone else used these for something besides candle-making. Do you think it'd work for these purposes?

Question Two (and my main question)... I've always seen these melting pots being used in water baths to melt the wax. Are there any that can be used directly stove top over low heat? I worry about water splashing or dripping into the base somehow, and causing mold growth down the road. So I'm hoping someone offers these sturdy enough to be placed directly on a burner (ours are electric). Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Hi Lindsay: I use presto pots for my candles and thought the same thing for the lip balms as well as my lotion sticks. I think it can be done. All that you would have to do is change the pour spout. Do you have the link on how to build your own using the presto pot? I'm thinking my pot holds about 10lbs of wax. Are you making more than that right now for each pour?

Hi Christine,

As you know I'm also making the lip balm bases. So when I make these, I'm pouring a fair amount. I'm not above 10 lbs at a time yet, but I'm certainly hoping to be there soon. But when I get to that point, I'll probably just buy one of those humongous melting machines, and they have the spigots.

I'm needing this not only for pouring the bases into jars, but mostly to have a more controlled pour with the filling trays. To hopefully make this a little "clearer", this part of the filling tray tutorial helps explain it a little better than I think I am. You can see it here. But since I'm pouring quite a bit more than one tray's worth at a time, I'm hoping that by using a melting pot, especially if I can use the melting pot directly on the stove top, to pour, it might save me some cleaning time. Right now, I've got a measuring cup pourer like he does. I'm dipping that cup into the lip balm mixture (in a large pot on the stove), and using that to pour. It works, but it makes a mess. I have stuff dripping off the pourer onto the counter, the sides of jars...all over, really. It also means I have two things to clean up with each batch. The pot and the pourer. I'm hoping to cut out the pot, and just melt IN the pourer. Which is why I'm looking at the candle wax melter/pourers. Make sense?

But because of the filling trays, I need a more accurate pouring spout than the spigot of a Presto Pot would give me. But it's still an excellent thought. When I get to the point where even melting in the melting pots is not enough, then I may look into a Presto Pot for the melting, then use the spigot to fill the pourer. At least I won't have to dip it, and worry about dripping lip balm stuff everywhere. That stuff sure is a pain to clean up.

Anyway, thanks. This is on my mind because I'm pouring a lot of lip balms this weekend.

My personal opinion I dont see why you cant use one. Like mizbizzyb said she uses it on direct heat. So I dont see why you cant use it for lip balms. Plus mine atleast has a spout to pour from. I would maybe try alittle first and find out:D

Angied

I'm going to try a small one. Unfortunately, my local guys don't have the melting pots with the more precise pour spout, so I'll have to order it in, which sucks. But oh well. Hopefully I can find it at one of my regular guys and at least combine the order with something.

Thanks everyone!

I will reveal my big secret LOL :D I use the replacement glass coffee pots that you can buy at Wally World etc. to pour my balms (they come in several sizes). They have very narrow pour spouts and work great to control the pour.

Once my base is made I pour it into microsafe deli containers until I'm ready to use it. When I make my balm or solid lotions I melt the base down in the micro in one minute intervals until melted. (The bases in the containers are pre-measured so I know how many can be made per batch). You may have to play with your temp (I usually do this on the 8 power level for my micro).

Pour the amount needed per flavor or fragrance into a coffee pot then set it on an electric pancake griddle to keep warm (of course you'll have to know your griddle temp control and where to set it - I have a candy thermometer for each pot). I can have several pots of melted base sitting on the griddle awaiting mixing. I mix my fragrance and color right in the pot then pour away. If there is any that starts to harden just set it back on the griddle and it melts it up to use. Almost no waste this way!

I have the pouring trays with a lip around the edge so even if I do overpour it does not overflow the sides. Sometimes I purposely overpour, then use a sanitary putty knife to scrape off the overpour and pack it into lip pots for those who prefer a pot to the tube. (I use popcycle sticks to get it into the pots and level the top)

TA DA....that's my method and I'm stickin' to it:D

Before I ever made a candle, I made a couple batches of lip balm and used a "wax" aluminum pouring pitcher. It seemed to work perfectly fine. I used the double boiler method and when I lifted the pot out of the water, I wiped the bottom with a towel so I didn't have to worry about getting water in the lip balms.