Fbb Help!!!

firegirl

Okay.. I tried to make some FFB sugar scrub.. and I am not sure if I am doing this correctly! I added :

40oz FFB

1 ounce AKO

1 ounce SAO

2 cups of Sugar

1 ounce FO

Liqua Par Optima

I added the FBB with the oils(minus the fo and preservative) and whipped the snot out of it until it doubled. I added the frgrance oil ( about 1/2 ounce) and the preservative. (which I am also confused about.. how much for this recipe? ) Once I folded in the preservative and fo, my FBB lost the whip... it kind of collapsed and got somewhat runny. Is this normal? Once I added the sugar, it was too late.. my mixture is kind of runny and not all whipped. Now a day later, the sugar has all disolved as well. Could anyone provide either a good recipe and instructions so that I can make some nice fluffy sugar scrub that I feel the scrub in? I would really appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Teri

I haven't worked with mine yet....just spent a lot of time reading up on it. I have read several places that if you "over-whip" it it will deflate. The one recipe I looked at actually had 5#'s of sugar added to it.....and about 8-10 oz of oils (maybe more) and that was to 2.5# of FBB. I have also read that it absorbs the sugar...so you need to add about twice as much as you think is enough...LOL And then add a little more to that! If I am remembering this right....this particular FBB base already has some preservative added to it? So not sure if it is neccesary to add even more unless you are adding a ton of oils and butters. Hopefully someone who has worked with it will come along and answer some of your questions. I was going to whip up a batch of mine this weekend to try it out.......hopefully I will find time to do that! LOL

I gave up yesterday evening trying to make sugar scrubs using FBB. The sugar dissolves. I even upped the sugar. 4.5 cups of sugar to 2.5 lbs of FBB. After a week, the sugar dissolved and left nothing but sticky icky FBB. I've tried all types of sugar. Nothing works. I think if you're going to use FBB for a sugar scrub, it's for personal use and something you will use right away. You can read the posts here where I was having similar problems. : http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46553

I haven't had the problem of it collapsing--yet. I also have not had a problem with the sugar dissolving. I use a combo of turbinado and white sugars with more oil than what you use along with shealoe. I don't have my recipe right here with me or I would give you exacts. However, if you don't use at least 2 oz of oils pp for the basic fbb, it will be somewhat drying. :cheesy2:

You had overwhipped it and that is why it collapsed. There is some great info in the link below. I melt mine to 120 degrees. They do not. I like it better melted. Do not melt it to temps higher then 125 degrees though. If this is the one from Lorrie's coop it already has preservatives in it no need to add more unless you go over the 2 oz of oil pp of fbb. I start to mix it and put it in the freezer for a 5 minutes then I take it out and whip more. I then add 2 ozs of oil pp of fbb. Ako, almond, or grapeseed work well. You can use any combo you like too. I add it slowly and then I sometimes put it back in freezer for a few mins. I take it out and whip more add fo slowly as it starts to thicken. As It is almost doubled I stop and stir in by hand the sugar. you have to gently stir the sugar in until the point of saturation. It will keep disolving, you just keep adding more. Have a 5 lb bag of sugar ready you may not need all of it. after you see it is not dissolving anymore, Let it sit for an hour or 2 and see if it needs more sugar. add the sugar slowly and fold it into the scrub gently. I also add about 1/4th cup of oatmeal ( for a 2.5 lb batch of fbb) to mine as I add the first batch of sugar. When I add the oatmeal it doesn't take as much sugar. It is important you add the extra ingredients slowly and before it is whipped all the way. http://www.chemistrystore.com/foaming_bath_butter.htm

Thanks to all of you for some input! I have read where it needs to be whipped up to 10 minutes and then where others only whip for 5 minutes.. I only whipped for about 1 minute max! I use the Kitchenaid stick blender with the whipping attachment.. this sucker makes this stuff double in about 30 seconds.. I doubted the time frame and kept on whipping. It could very well be my blender.. more revolutions per minute than most, thus incorporating more air. I just might have to try thicker sugar and melt this stuff down like you would for a whipped shea.. I am happy to hear that you don't need to add any more preservative.. My mix does not seem overly drying, but I just want that fluffy stiff hand spreadable sugar scrub! I will keep trying at it.. I bought 20 pounds of this from the coop and I would hate for it to go to waste! Thanks for the instructions.. it will surely help!

Teri

Ok ladies what I do when I make my sugar scrub is..

If I am using 40 oz of fbb I add 40 oz of sugar to it.

If I have 4 oz of liquid oils I add 4 oz of sugar to that.

I whip my fbb first than add the liquid oil to the butter and rewhip making sure not to over whip. When I add my preservative I only figure it on the sugar because the fbb all ready has preservative in it.

I carefully add preservative and fragrance and fold this into the mixture.

I don't use a KA because I don't own one. I have a regular hand mixer. I haven't had any problems with my sugar dissolving.

Hope this all makes sense.

Hi sosweet, I think the reason you can't see the co-op info is that you're too new to the forum. I think you have to be a member for X amount of days and have X amount of posts before you can join in a coop. Not sure what "X" represents in this case, though.

....Ooops I see LovelyLathers beat me to the punch! :)