question about harmful vapors?

deidra

did I offend anyone? the only reason i asked is my husband and parents are worried of the smell i am breathing all the time.I said I didnt think it was but, I would ask here and see.If someone would chime in i would appreciate it.

Hi, I really don't know the answer to this question. My opinion is that its not the best to breath in the fumes when adding your FO. I would wear a mask. A lot of people on this board have been making candles for years and I haven't read anything about them getting cancer from making candles. Anything is possible but chances are probably not. Your question I am sure did not offend anyone. Its a good question and I too look forward to what others think!:)

IMO we are here to enjoy each and every moment and I can honestly say that I have been in hog heaven with all of these wonderful fragrances ever since I started making candles, soap, aroma beads, etc. I am not sure I would quit even if it was proven...:smiley2:

Thank you, I thought that as well.Just had to ask to keep my hubby happy..lol I do this in my garage . I really dont have a window in the area but I am able to open the doors if I need to.

You definately need ventilation and lots of it. I do mine in my garage also. My husband installed 3 fans in the walls so the fumes, for lack of a better word, are sucked outside.

I can tell you that I asked my doctor this very question before I started making candles. He said to wear a mask and have plenty of ventilation.

I don't think there's much chance of you getting cancer from making candles. Though i do think you have to be very careful when you make candles, soap etc. FOs are basically full of chemicals so I wouldn't make a habit of breathing it all in.

Letting wax get too hot can cause lots of fumes so it's very important to keep your wax at the right temp.

Like what's been said, lots of ventilation if possible, but just being careful when pouring FO etc is the best way, try not to spill any and keep the bottle at a bit of a distance away. Also when you add FO to wax too hot it can cause the FO to evaporate very quickly and that can be very fumey!!!

So just be careful, have good ventilation and everything will be fine!!!