Anyone using htp wicks with J-223

I've been searching the forum on J-223 and noticed that no one has posted on using htp wicks with J-223. (A lot of you seem to like zinc and lx from what I've read). I'm focusing on these wicks b/c I like their hot burning properties and self-trimming ones as well. Does anyone else use htp with j-223? Just wanted to check before I go down this road any further....any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I don't use J-223 but I do use the htp wicks, I like them because they are virtually self triming and if they do need triming all you have to do is pinch them off with fingers. Started out with zinc but just didn't like those. I only use igi wax - 4786, 4625, and 1274 and htp wicks. For my pillars I have started using the flat braid for pillars. Know this doesn't answer your question about the wax!

Why are you throwing in the towel? They don't work?

Well, I should qualify my answer first by saying I am still an amatuer at this. But, it seems like I always end up with hang-up on one side with the htp's no matter how big the wick. I end up with a deep (too deep at times) melt pool on one end, and hang-up on the other due to the curl of the htp's. And the hang-up doesn't go away, it slowly grows as the candle burns. And although I've read that I can twist the htp's or glue the tab off-center, I'd rather not go to that effort. IMO it leaves too much room for error on my part.

So, I made two more candles last night in Strudel and Spice, one with a zinc 62 and one with an lx 20. I'm hoping St. Paddy will bring me some luck today..

OK I see. You're caught between a gunky zinc burn vs. the HTPs curling off center. Why don't you give ECO a try. Those are designed kind of like HTP but they might curl a little less for you. What container are you using?

top: i use the htps, I never thougt about the ECO, I may like them better. I've tried the cd's in J223, and liked the fact that I had virtually no soot, no matter the burn, but the cd's seem to "snake"? looked like they'd move off center.

Thanks for your input, 7pawz. Glad to hear the htp's are working for you. It really helps me when I get feedback. What kind of jars do you use? I was trying the metro jars, but put them aside and am back to mason jars.

Right now I am buring a zinc 62 and lx 20 and they both seem to be doing well! I'm on my third burn and so far so good. But I shouldn't get ahead of myself. Time will tell.

I use htp wicks with J223 with mixed results. I do, however, like them

better than zinc. I use the 11 oz tureen jars with 2 htp wicks, usually 52's.

I recently started experimenting with the 8 oz metro jars and have been

using one htp 83 with those. I have had no luck with votives and htp wicks,

but I'm using a different wax for votives, so that could be my problem. I like

that they do not mushroom and are easier to trim. If I marathon burn I do

still get jar soot, which I hate. If I can remember to trim wicks every few

hours during marathon burns it's much better. I'm just terrible about letting

them burn all day!

I use htp wicks with J223 with mixed results. I do, however, like them

better than zinc. I use the 11 oz tureen jars with 2 htp wicks, usually 52's.

I recently started experimenting with the 8 oz metro jars and have been

using one htp 83 with those. I have had no luck with votives and htp wicks,

but I'm using a different wax for votives, so that could be my problem. I like

that they do not mushroom and are easier to trim. If I marathon burn I do

still get jar soot, which I hate. If I can remember to trim wicks every few

hours during marathon burns it's much better. I'm just terrible about letting

them burn all day!

Thanks for your message, snapdragon. My dh really likes the metro jars so I will have to go back to them after I master these mason jars. I'm trying to stay focused and not try to many different things at once (famous last words!). So you know, I was experimenting with double wicking the 8 oz metro jars with 2 htp 52's and it burned well, but I didn't finish the testing b/c I went back to mason jars.

Oh I meant to tell you, if those mason jars are 3 inches wide you could try ECO 6 in them. Just an EWAG but shouldn't be more than one size off.

Okay, I'm going to give it a shot! I'm making more candles tonight. Thanks so much!

Thanks for your input, 7pawz. Glad to hear the htp's are working for you. It really helps me when I get feedback. What kind of jars do you use? I was trying the metro jars, but put them aside and am back to mason jars.

Right now I am buring a zinc 62 and lx 20 and they both seem to be doing well! I'm on my third burn and so far so good. But I shouldn't get ahead of myself. Time will tell.

I am using mason jars, apothecary,tumblers, etc. can't seem to settle on just one type of jar:) some of my customers have asked for something besides the mason jar, so I've tried to use & test other containers. I've been testing the Lx's & cd's wick lately with the J223, not sure about them yet. So far, the zinc and htps's work for me now. hope all works out for you:)

I am using mason jars, apothecary,tumblers, etc. can't seem to settle on just one type of jar:) some of my customers have asked for something besides the mason jar, so I've tried to use & test other containers. I've been testing the Lx's & cd's wick lately with the J223, not sure about them yet. So far, the zinc and htps's work for me now. hope all works out for you:)

Thank you! I feel like I am getting closer to a "good burn". Keep your fingers crossed for me.