You've all got me, I'm addicted!

erinmfritz

Thanks to all of you for your inspiration!

I just made my first m&p soap today. I bought some molds & colors on the classies, ordered the clear and the soya milk bases and went to town. I made a purple lovespell clear one, a pink sugar milk one, 2 rubber duckie soaps for my girls, and some small heart ones. I think this is going to be very addictive, it is soooooo easy!

I love the soya milk base, but I'm not sure about the clear. It makes your hands feel soapy just by touching it. Is that normal?

Just another question about testing, I know I need to try out the soap to make sure I like it, but If I am following the instructions, what testing is involved with melt & pour bases?

Congrats on making your 1st. Of course we want to see pics. It is addicting. As far as testing.. There are many types and manufacturers of M&P. So you might want to try different ones to find one that you like. They are all different. Also if you put additives in them you will want to test them to see if it is what you wanted to achieve. You want to make sure it doesn't make them sticky or weep.

Thanks to all of you for your inspiration!

I just made my first m&p soap today. I bought some molds & colors on the classies, ordered the clear and the soya milk bases and went to town. I made a purple lovespell clear one, a pink sugar milk one, 2 rubber duckie soaps for my girls, and some small heart ones. I think this is going to be very addictive, it is soooooo easy!

I love the soya milk base, but I'm not sure about the clear. It makes your hands feel soapy just by touching it. Is that normal?

Just another question about testing, I know I need to try out the soap to make sure I like it, but If I am following the instructions, what testing is involved with melt & pour bases?

On the testing you will just be looking for whatever properties you would love to have in a soap. If it doesn't lather well, that would be something you might want to work on, if the lather isn't the "type" of lather you were hoping for that's another thing. I haven't run across a MP soap yet that wasn't cleansing, so that's no biggie, but moisturizing and drying is, so you will want to take notice of how your skin feels after you use the soap.. rubbery? smooth and silky? dry and tight? All these are possibilities that can happen due to the soap base itself, or any additives that you use including FO, and they are things that can be changed by using additives in your recipe. Some things are going to be climate or atmosphere related I believe, such as sweating and crystilizing on the soap surface. YOu may want to make a quick note when you open a fresh bar and see how long it lasts, that's something you might want to improve upon in future batches, and of course that all depends upon how many people are using it and how long a store bought bar lasts in your household as well.

Testing for MP soap is more for your tastes and needs than for safety IMO.

Congrats on your first soaps! Isn't it fun? :)

On the testing you will just be looking for whatever properties you would love to have in a soap. If it doesn't lather well, that would be something you might want to work on, if the lather isn't the "type" of lather you were hoping for that's another thing. I haven't run across a MP soap yet that wasn't cleansing, so that's no biggie, but moisturizing and drying is, so you will want to take notice of how your skin feels after you use the soap.. rubbery? smooth and silky? dry and tight? All these are possibilities that can happen due to the soap base itself, or any additives that you use including FO, and they are things that can be changed by using additives in your recipe. Some things are going to be climate or atmosphere related I believe, such as sweating and crystilizing on the soap surface. YOu may want to make a quick note when you open a fresh bar and see how long it lasts, that's something you might want to improve upon in future batches, and of course that all depends upon how many people are using it and how long a store bought bar lasts in your household as well.

Testing for MP soap is more for your tastes and needs than for safety IMO.

Congrats on your first soaps! Isn't it fun? :)

Congrats to you! Isn't it fun & fulfilling to make & use your own stuff? Brace yourself...sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but....the addiction will only get worse! :grin2:

PA: :bow: :bow: :bow:

You're such a little Queen...er...um...I...I mean a M&P Queen :D

Thanks everyone. You all are so funny! I definatly think I am addicted to the fact that I can make these things myself. My girls are in the bath tub right now with the duckie soaps, one fell out already, but trial & error right? This is very fun! My 6 year old is all about helping, especially with the soaps, I can see all kinds of bonding moments with this! Now I can't wait to hit the shower, hmmm, pink sugar or love spell...

So, I haven't been looking for m&p soap bases long, is there any suppliers you might suggest near Indiana?

Congrats on taking the leap!!! M&P is some fun stuff, is it not? :grin2:

As for a supplier, BCN might be a good option. I've tried their bases and they aren't bad. I really like the Mango Butter base the best! Rosehip base is a close second. I just ordered the Silk & Shea base (think that's what it's called) from WSP. I've heard lots of good things about it. And I think they'd be pretty close to you as well.

My preference is SFIC bases, but I have not found a close supplier yet (I get it from Peak's). If anyone knows of a supplier close to Wisconsin, PLEEZ let me know!

Have fun with your newest passion! :D