I Jumped In...

kari357

Hi ladies, well my nerves got the best of me and I waited until about 4am to start (my first batch), on my back patio with spotlight on, so all my neighbors could see me out there (if they're awake) wearing a smock, goggles and a respirator (borrowed from work) mixing lye and water. What a sight...

I've read that cucumber melon causes acceleration, so which scent did I choose for my first experience, you guessed it! I also decided to try swirls, on my 1st attempt, with some green clay mixed with some of the soap I put aside. Well I added the cucumber melon at what I thought was light trace which QUICKLY turned to mashed potato consistency. So much for swirls.

Well its curing now. Pics will only follow if not too embarrassing, especially after seeing what you ladies put out! And dont look for my swirls, you wont find any!

Kari

Congrats on your first batch!! It gets a little less unnerving with future batches. That's not fair you have to post the fugly batches tooo :laugh2: Okay, I'm curious what is the deal with the fabric softener sheets I've never heard of this.

Yesterday I posted to be careful with the lye when you are measuring it cause if there is a lot of static electricity it tends to jump around where you don't want it. Someone said they took a dryer sheet and wiped the measuring container inside and out and that it helped a lot with the static problems. I have not tried that so will have to buy some dryer sheets next time I go to the store.

I too heard about the dryer sheets... they really work IMO, when i forget to grab one and start pouring the lye in the cup I end up saying a few "choice" words and kicking myself, thankfully I do it out in the garage and DH sweeps up all the time out there (woodworking is a meesy thing).

Thumbs up for dryer sheets!!