MP soap with toys in it......

erinmfritz

You all have been such an inspiration to me that I had to try my hand at soaps. I am going the easy MP route for now but want to make something special... I want to make childrens soap, ones with the bugs & things in it for the boys, some kind of pink princess thing for the girls, and the ducks.

I am going to get my first shippment of mp soap tomorrow.

My question is how do you put the toys into the bar? Do you wait til it cools a bit, pour in 2 layers? I tried searching but I am not coming up with anything, maybe I'm wording it wrong, who knows. Also, can anyone point me in the right direction for the ducks? I've seen some really cute ones on here but all I am finding are the plain ones.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Erin

With my Duck in a Pond soaps, I put the ducks in when the soap is still liquid but not too hot. I want to make sure the duck sets up nicely in the soap so it won't come detached. Most of the ducks will not sit in the soap and stay upright, so I have to use skewers to help keep them balanced. Once I have my duck balanced, I take white soap shavings and sprinkle them around the duck. Then, I pour a little more clear soap over the white soap shavings to help keep them in place and give the illusion of some of the "bubbles" being a bit submerged. I hope that made sense.

Oriental Trading has a good selection of the ducks.

Fish soaps I guess are kinda like bug soaps. I have to pour mine in layers. My fishy slices soaps are 7 layers and it sucks. If you're pouring them into a flat mold, two layers should do it, but if you pour the second layer too hot over the toy, it will melt whatever is holding it down in the first layer, so be careful not to pour too hot.

Ducky soaps pissed me off, I quit making them. You have more patience than I do Meridith!

Thank you so much you two.

Grumpy Girl, wow 7 layers, it that worth it? They are cute though. Are they a good seller from your web site?

Meridith, your soaps are cute, I love your ducks. I never thought of Oriental trading co.

Thanks again.

One more question, do you spray with alcohol between layers? That's what I have been reading, although one said witch hazel. Wouldn't spraying the alcohol add that to the soap? What's the purpose?

Not sure how to word it and these are probably not the right terms, but:

I think it has something to do with surface tension. It helps the new layer adhere to the previous layer by -I THINK- cutting the oil barrier that would prevent the two layers from being cohesive. Witch Hazel has a % of alcohol in it and you can use either. I've only used WH myself, but I don't seem to see much effect in the way of killing my surface bubbles:undecided

You can also get the duck toys here http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/StoreCategory.aspx?CategoryID=887&CategoryName=Duck+Toys and if your order is $20-

$25 your shipping is only $6.95 no matter how much it weights. HTH

i went to the website and it says this.... did it change??

Wholesale Supplies Plus is pleased to announce a Flat Rate Shipping Program.

Flat Rate Shipping of $6.95*

for

Orders of $0 to $25

I get to play with my 'fish in a bag' tomorrow. I never even thought about bugs, lizzards etc, good idea erin. Oh well there is always next order. I did find some really neat stuff searching today after reading this post.

Yep Carrie, thats what i see on their website too, i didnt receive any emails stating any different or see any post on the board about changes

Ok, this fish in a bag is a PITA !!!! They are rather cute tho, I think next time I will get some lizards & frogs. gotta figure out a way to do it faster tho. these would be good to sell at your county fair, all those little kids running around. if one kid has something they all want it lol

Cowgirl, I think I will eventually do the fish in a bag, I saw some I liked (I think they were Meridith's) that were flat instead of a big blob. What problems did you have making them? I am just having fun right now. I just need to figure out how to keep the silly ducks in the soap for more than one bath. I also did a bar of "Cukes & Melon" in clear soap with a drop of red and put a small strawberry Shortcake toy in it, my daughter loves it but wanted to use the ducks tonight. What fun, huh?

I would like some suggestions on how to prevent air pockets around toy embed. When I put a toy like a lizard or something in a rectangle 3 oz mold or any other size really, I will pour a layer, wait until it sets up a little and place the toy and then pour another layer. Each time using an alcohol spritz. I have little air pockets around the toy. Kinda like where the soap dents in when I put the toy on the soap....does this make sense? I hope someone can help me with it. I also wanted to know if those that use the ultraclear bases...do you scent them? I have noticed the FOs will cloud the soap and have not achieved a really clear one.

For my duckie soaps, I tape the little bastards down...lightly...so they don't bobble around

Here are some of my toy soaps:

threeduckysoaps-1.jpg

strawberryshortcakesoap-1.jpg

lizardsoap-1.jpg

Geesh Meredith, I think you're making more work for yourself with those duckies girl! ;)

What I do is pour a layer (the water) about half way up the mold, then let is pretty much set up, then spritz with alcohol, set my toy in, then repour more "water" around that. As far as open pockets, or bubbles around the toy, I use a skewer while soap is still liquid and pop them. Then when that layer is almost set up, I sprinkle in my white curls, and do a slight overpour/drizzle with the "water" soap, and then sprinkle with glitter.

Same thing with the lizards/bugs.

No balancing the toy or anything.

HTH

Here are some of my toy soaps:

threeduckysoaps-1.jpg

strawberryshortcakesoap-1.jpg

lizardsoap-1.jpg

Geesh Meredith, I think you're making more work for yourself with those duckies girl! ;)

What I do is pour a layer (the water) about half way up the mold, then let is pretty much set up, then spritz with alcohol, set my toy in, then repour more "water" around that. As far as open pockets, or bubbles around the toy, I use a skewer while soap is still liquid and pop them. Then when that layer is almost set up, I sprinkle in my white curls, and do a slight overpour/drizzle with the "water" soap, and then sprinkle with glitter.

Same thing with the lizards/bugs.

No balancing the toy or anything.

HTH

Michi, you pretty much do it like I do but I have to balance most of my ducks because they won't stay upright. I use skewers, set around the duck, to keep it upright and from floating off center. That sounds really like the only difference between my method and your method.

ETA: I also don't have to spritz with alcohol since my topping it off is before it sets up. It's all pretty much done in one swoop. Hopefully that made sense. lol

Cowgirl, I think I will eventually do the fish in a bag, I saw some I liked (I think they were Meridith's) that were flat instead of a big blob. What problems did you have making them? I am just having fun right now. I just need to figure out how to keep the silly ducks in the soap for more than one bath. I also did a bar of "Cukes & Melon" in clear soap with a drop of red and put a small strawberry Shortcake toy in it, my daughter loves it but wanted to use the ducks tonight. What fun, huh?

sorry i didn't reply earlier, my isp has been down. anyway what i find difficult is that i purchased the smaller bags and the opening is really small, so i folded down the top of the bag and used a funnel, which really isn't too bad. i am always looking for easier ways tho. a couple of them i waited too long to embed the fish and got a couple air pockets around his mouth but looks like the fish is breathing lol. the bags i purchased fit 4 oz of soap nicely

Yep, just look around the kitchen for "molds" The strawberry shortcake soap was made in a 1 cup measuring cup. ;)

Meredith, I thought you said you put your duckies in when the soap is still melted, hence the reason they floated around-maybe I misunderstood? I stick my toys on top of a set up first layer and/or pour my second layer on top of the set up layer and then stick the toy in, they never move around on me.

I'm just trying to picture how you use the skewers to hold it in place?

Oh well, heck anything that works right? :D

Yes, you got it right, but not when they are fully set up. They are still liquid but thicker - just when it starts to get that film on top. Does that make sense? I have had a few fall out so I found that if I put the ducks in when the soap is still liquid, put the white shavings on, and then repour more over that, that damn duck won't move for nothin'! lol I also didn't want to have to mess with the soap setting up all the way and having to spritz with alcohol. I had one that my testers the layers came apart. I didn't like that. And I can't pour too hot or my molds will warp - one did already on me. These were single cavity molds that I hated but got them on sale from Planet Mold. I just got in a few molds with 3 compartments. And these molds are deeper too. Hopefully I can pour a little hotter now which would make it easier to do that second pour and get better adhesion.

I just put the skewers around the duck, kind of making a square so the duck sits in the middle of the "square" and can't move from side to side or do a header or go backwards. I am still working on another methods to keep those buggers in place while the soap sets up. Its more to keep them from falling over than moving. Some of my ducks won't stay upright. They act like they are drunk. You ducks look like they are wider than mine. I got some of mine from Planet Mold and the rest from OT.

Meredith, I thought you said you put your duckies in when the soap is still melted, hence the reason they floated around-maybe I misunderstood? I stick my toys on top of a set up first layer and/or pour my second layer on top of the set up layer and then stick the toy in, they never move around on me.

I'm just trying to picture how you use the skewers to hold it in place?

Oh well, heck anything that works right? :D

See, what did I say, you all are an inspiration!!! Wow Michi, I love your soaps.

When you put the ducks in, either way you described, how high do you pour the soap on the duck? How many uses should you get before the duckie goes swimmin' in the real water? Mine popped right out.

See, what did I say, you all are an inspiration!!! Wow Michi, I love your soaps.

When you put the ducks in, either way you described, how high do you pour the soap on the duck? How many uses should you get before the duckie goes swimmin' in the real water? Mine popped right out.

Isn't that the truth, all the photos i see on the forum are just wonderful.

Not Michi, but for me Erin, it depends on the ducks since some ducks have stuff on them I don't want to cover with soap. i.,e, I have graduation ducks that are holding a rolled up diploma down by their side. If I pour too high, you can't see the diploma. Same with my construction ducks - you won't be able to see the bottom of the shovel. This is why I find it easier to put the duck in before the soap completely sets up to ensure it is better held in place and won't come out so easily. As far as how long it should take to free the duck, I think it really depends on different factors and there isn't a set amount of uses before it will happen.

I agree with the others too Michi and your soaps are adorable.

Ok I played around with some molds tonight, the bags are cute but a PITA cuz I got the smaller ones. I looked around and finally decided on using my votive molds & those measuring cups that are 4oz that you get in candle kits that are pretty much worthless.......anyway, I make them 2 oz and put 2 to a bag with the fish.....looks pretty good and great for small hands plus being round i think it might actually turn out pretty good for smaller kids. My 20 yr old swiped some for himself lmao said he was out of soap lamooo

My son has my camera I really need to go get that since he is terrible about bringing things back sometimes so I found this post by glo that shows a pic probably better than I can explain it but just think 2 oz. I packaged 2 - 2 oz rounds to a bag with a fish in each. I used a measuring cup like michi suggested. Was rather a tight fit, had to end up slicing a sliver off the end to make it work

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46515

I got my stuff @ KY it said small bag & large bag. I got the small one thinking it would be easier for kids to hold the soap, only probably is its 3x8 bag and that is kinda hard to mess with, small opening & tall

Last night I played around with lining a check book box too, took me awhile to figure out how to line it but I am thinking maybe I can cut that into thirds/fourths & just embed fish in that also.

most of my friends have small kids or grandkids i will be testing it out on them so i am sure i will get some feedback, kids always have such a cute way of telling you what they like and dont like, sometimes they have some great ideas too!!!

geesh I need more coffee i have edited this thing twice