What am I doing wrong

amyp

I got Donita's tutorial for embedding pics and I don't know what I am doing wrong. I keep getting a build up of wax in some spots on the pics and they are cracking in other spots. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks Amy

kimscanes008.jpg

kimscanes005.jpg

kimscanes006.jpg

The first one has the wax build up to the left of her head and down her shoulder are these from air pockets?

I can't see much from your small pictures... are you usng the suggested wax, methods, etc.? I don't use paraffin for 'canes, but have found that when there is a slight buildup because of an uneven coating, the thicker places can be slightly shaved to remove the excess. It takes some practice when overdipping (if that is the process you are using) to ensure that everything gets an even coat. HTH:D

A quick pass of a heat gun can also correct minor flaws. ;)

Yes, I bought the wax and additives she suggested and I thought I was following direction, but it is not working. What is the over dip method?

I will try the heat gun, if that works I won't have to melt it back down. Thanks Amy

I can't see much from your small pictures... are you usng the suggested wax, methods, etc.? I don't use paraffin for 'canes, but have found that when there is a slight buildup because of an uneven coating, the thicker places can be slightly shaved to remove the excess. It takes some practice when overdipping (if that is the process you are using) to ensure that everything gets an even coat. HTH:D

A quick pass of a heat gun can also correct minor flaws. ;)

Are you using a different wax for hurricanes?

Tony

Are you using a different wax for hurricanes?

Yes, Tony, I played around until I got a palm/soy blend that suited me. It is not nearly as transparent as paraffin, but has worked nicely enough for the paper and botanical embedded projects I have made so far. The blend leaves a thin coating of crystals on the surface of the paper, which I like. :)

I hope that in my private emails to you we can work this out. There is a reason.....we just have to find out.....When something goes wrong for me....it usually has to do with temperature.....or something really little. Are your molds really really really clean? Don't unmold too soon.....a waterbath of 80.......average room temperature.....and be careful when using the heatgun to smooth the inside....don't let it spill over....watch it carefully....If I could see it in person I would know more....but don't worry....we will get it down....tell me more. Donita Louise