Wet spots.

This is probably going to sound like an extremely stupid question - but i think you should ask no matter how stupid you sound *ROFL* Here goes.........

What are wet spots? :o

I hear you talk about them, but don't know what they are?? Are they patches of wax that doesn't set properly, or, or, or, shiny patches that look wet??? Someone please put me out of my misery!

Anjie,x.

Hmm.. I think I'd say shiny patches... you can tell it in your jars. It looks like the wax just hasn't stuck to the jar... does that make sense? Maybe someone else can jump in with a better explanation.

HTH!

~Kristen~

So how do you keep them away? I usually will warm my containers in the oven, or soak them in a hot water bath while I am melting my wax and then just before I pour, I take it out of the hot bath or oven, and prepare my container. I make sure I pour the wax at the recommended pour temp and the container is warm. Yet I still get the wet spots. I then, after cooling for 48 hrs will soak the candle in warm water, making sure I keep it below the lip of the container, so as to not get the actual wax wet. I will get rid of the wet spots and my repour lines seal better. It looks like what it is supposed to, and burns great, but I know that is not the recommended way to keep those stupid wet spots away.

This is probably going to sound like an extremely stupid question - but i think you should ask no matter how stupid you sound *ROFL* Here goes.........

What are wet spots? :o

I hear you talk about them, but don't know what they are?? Are they patches of wax that doesn't set properly, or, or, or, shiny patches that look wet??? Someone please put me out of my misery!

Anjie,x.

Wet spots are places in the jar where the wax pulls away slightly. I believe the thought is that slower cooling (grouping candles together, covering with a styro cooler etc) will help prevent them for awhile but sometimes they just show up later depending on the environment they're kept in. They used to drive me crazy, but I do what I can to control them and live with the ones I get. Even the big boys (Yankers etc) have them!

I have problems with wet spots as well. The other day I was pouring test candles and one jar I was re-using. I had just got done melting the old wax out of it and dumping it. I just wiped the jar out and it left a wax residue from the old wax. I didn't care at the time since the candle is for me and testing. Out of the three candles I poured this one was the pretties and No wet spots and has stayed that way. So I am going to test pour a few more and wipe some wax on the inside. Maybe something you would want to try.

Suzanne

Great idea Suzanne! I'm going to be pouring today, so I think I'm going to give that a shot and see if it helps! I still get wet spots too, and I've tried pouring slow, pouring fast, pouring medium slow/fast... etc. etc. etc. I've learned to live with them, but if something like this will keep them away, then it's worth the little bit of extra work!

Thanks for the post!

~Kristen~

There are also certain types of wax you can get that are designed to adhere to the jar evenly and reduce wet spots. I use CBL-130 from candlewic and it drastically cut down on the wet spots - I still get one here and there, but nothing like before I used it.

I do not heat my jars and get wet spots most likely because of it. I use a parasoy blend and sometimes I get lucky with very minimal spottage. I do think it has to do with the pouring temp of the jars and cooling temp of the room. My sun porch is currently my candle room. I have heat out there but it is not consistent and therefore the wet spots are too.

My question is.....if I may.....I am soon moving my first shop. I will have a "pouring" room and was wondering for those that pour larger amounts of candles at a time....do you heat your jars?? I will not have a stove but I do have a heat gun but the amounts I will be pouring do not justify a heat gun. Right now I am trying to live with the wet spots but wonder if there are any other tricks out there....

No Problem. I have never tried it, but am thinking about getting a small one.

Hopefully one day I'll have my own shop so I can do all this great stuff. Right now I only get a few orders, nothing worth melting more than 1 pound of wax at a time for, lol.