Help - talk me through this....please...lol

The wonderful girl who worked hard at designing our label, and then taking our orders to the print shop and making sure we have what we need, is getting married. I told her that, since she would not take any money for her work, we would supply the candles for her wedding in October.

I asked her to get us a jar ASAP and we will start testing. Well, I now have it....lol....it is 5 inches wide and 4 1/2 inches deep! Since we have only tested 10 oz jars at this point, this thing looks HUGE!!!! LOL She will need 25 of these for the centerpieces.

Anyway, I am thinking this baby would have to be wicked with four wicks. We use LX's and I need a little guidance on what I should start with. My thoughts are LX18's or LX20's. We are using Enchanted Lites soy. Also, I am thinking that I should be just pouring the wax, poking holes for the wicks and testing that way, although I have never done that before.

Has anyone here worked with a jar this large and can you help me figure out where to start.

Thanks so much...I think I am just a bit in shock...luckily I have seven months to figure this out!!

Thanks, everyone....

Jane

I don't know what to tell you about the containers, but you should check with her on how full she will want them. If there are fans or the reception is outside, she will not want them more than 2/3 full to cut down on flickering and also to give the room a nice glow. The flame will illuminate the glass better if it's not full.

Yep, I'd do the skewer and wick poking testing...

-Kristi

I would never have even thought of that! I still have ALOT to learn!

From what I can remember, I believe the ceilings are quite high in the ballroom where the reception is being held, but I will definitely check that out.

Thanks so much for your input!

Jane

Piece of cake :highfive:

Yes, definitely do the skewer thing and poke the holes. And yes on the 4 wicks, evenly spaced. Make a paper template by setting your jar on the paper and use a pencil to go around the bottom, making your circle. Cut out your circle, fold it in half lengthwise, unfold, fold it in half widthwise, unfold. You'll have your center mark. Use the line marks you made when you folded the paper as your diagram. Using each line as your template, measure the distance from your center mark to the end of each line and divide by 2. At this measurement, mark it for each of your 4 wicks. Doing it this way you'll have the equal distance you need from one wick to the next. After your wax has set up, take your template and set it on top of your wax. Using your skewer or large pin, mark each of your 4 wick placements. I don't use LX with my soy so I can't help you there. I usually use HTP 83's on this setup. This is where the testing begins. If the wicks you are testing don't work, blow them out and let your wax set up again. Take some tweezers and pull out the wicks. Remark the holes with your skewer and try another size.

Right...a piece of cake!! :laugh2::laugh2:

Love the template idea! I have been meaning to do that with the 10 oz jars....when I am pouring alot of jars, I tend to get at least one jar with double wicks a little off "kilter" - makes me so mad! lol

I truly appreciate everyone's help...it almost....ALMOST...makes me think I can do this! :D

How about putting a glass votive holder inside the large holder. You can always fill the large holder with some nice creamy wax and either make votives or fill the votive cups ahead of time. It would still look good and give the candle glow but wicking would be no problem.

How about putting a glass votive holder inside the large holder. You can always fill the large holder with some nice creamy wax and either make votives or fill the votive cups ahead of time. It would still look good and give the candle glow but wicking would be no problem.

Sounds like a project I may want to try, but knowing the bride-to-be, she has it in her head what she wants...now I will just have to see if I can do it!

Thanks!

Jane

Now I am getting really scared...lol....is this an unusual request for someone to make? Is making a jar candle this large really difficult?

Sharon in KY and KFTS, these are great ideas, and I will definitely run them by her, but if she insists that she wants plain, white soy candles, I guess I will try!

Thanks again!

Jane

5" isn't that big. I have 4" containers with only double wicks. I bet you could do this with 2 or 3 wicks and be fine. I actually think it is easier to wick multiples than singles.

I saw one in the store the other day that was about 8" wide. I have no idea how it burned, but I guess somebody was buying them. It was huge, and not very pretty either.

I was wondering if three wicks would do it. I certainly could start the testing that way, and go from there.

I have searched the boards to see if I could get some ideas, but I am not finding anything at this point.

Off to search some more....:smiley2:

Now I am getting really scared...lol....is this an unusual request for someone to make? Is making a jar candle this large really difficult?

Sharon in KY and KFTS, these are great ideas, and I will definitely run them by her, but if she insists that she wants plain, white soy candles, I guess I will try!

Thanks again!

Jane

Is she only burning them that one night? Or will she be taking them home and burning them to the bottom? I guess that will determine your degree of testing. The problem I have had with big jars is they burn great the first 2/3 and then kind of peter out. Now in a jar that big that is a lot of hours of burning before getting towards the bottom. Let us know how it turns out and we want pictures! :D

Is she only burning them that one night? Or will she be taking them home and burning them to the bottom? I guess that will determine your degree of testing. The problem I have had with big jars is they burn great the first 2/3 and then kind of peter out. Now in a jar that big that is a lot of hours of burning before getting towards the bottom. Let us know how it turns out and we want pictures! :D

I believe she will only be burning them during the reception. I could put a warning on them stating "only good for an 8 hour burn....you are on your own after that!!" LOL

I have never posted pictures before...this could be a FIRST!!

Hi Jane,

I'm just basing my comments on experience with three wick paraffin pillars. The ones I've made were 6 inches wide, and used three wicks with no problems. Since the burn time will be relatively short, you could get away wiht overwicking it a little so it starts throwing scent faster. Filling it only part way will be a good idea, to prevent spilling wax in case some wedding guests drink too much of the "special" punch :wink2:

Fortunately you only have to test one jar/wick/FO combination, and have plenty of time for that. Good luck!

geek :cool2:

Hi Jane,

I'm just basing my comments on experience with three wick paraffin pillars. The ones I've made were 6 inches wide, and used three wicks with no problems. Since the burn time will be relatively short, you could get away wiht overwicking it a little so it starts throwing scent faster. Filling it only part way will be a good idea, to prevent spilling wax in case some wedding guests drink too much of the "special" punch :wink2:

Fortunately you only have to test one jar/wick/FO combination, and have plenty of time for that. Good luck!

geek :cool2:

Thanks for the input, geek! I will start the testing with three wicks and go from there. I was thinking of suggesting to her that she leave them unscented...due to the fact that they will be on the tables where people will be eating, and I thought it may interfere with that....and people that are sensitive to scent would appreciate it. :wink2:

Thoughts on that?