Want to make A ball candle and some pillars

i currently make only gel candles and playe a little with soy. I saw a metal ball mold that i would love to make a candle out of it. What would be the best kind of wax to use that i dont have to put in alot of additives. Also i m not to sure how to do it. Do i need to plug the bottom or what. Something thats not to expensive for my gel hobby takes alot of my money. lol

thank you

http://www.candletech.com/basicinstructions.htm

Will get you the basic instructions for making a pillar, just click on the link.

As for what wax to use, do some research on your supplier's site and see what they offer. Generally all of them have one wax that takes all the tinkering out -- already has the additives (except UV).

As for ball molds, I've never had a mold where you plug the bottom.

i currently make only gel candles and playe a little with soy. I saw a metal ball mold that i would love to make a candle out of it. What would be the best kind of wax to use that i dont have to put in alot of additives. Also i m not to sure how to do it. Do i need to plug the bottom or what. Something thats not to expensive for my gel hobby takes alot of my money. lol

thank you

I am new to ball molds too. The big hole is for pouring the wax. Unlike other molds that have a small hole on the bottom for wicking, the ball mold does not. Once you actually complete the candle and it is ready to take out (comes out rather easily, just kinda roll it out), I learned a tip from this forum to take a long nail, get it hot, and push it through the candle. You can also do the same with a wick pin for 6 inch pillars to do this. Once you have the hole through the center push your wick through.

As far as wax is concerned, I started with pillar wax from Michales just to learn how to make pillars without spending too much, but I don't really like it. I use the basic pillar wax from peak candle supplies and add a small amount of vybar to it. With candle making, you get what you pay for. I usually get my wax from candle suppliers because this is what they specialize in. The wax is usually about 9$ cheaper for the same amt you get in hobby stores, but with shipping it equals out. Only you are getting a better product from a company that can help you anytime you need it.

One thing I have found is that the places where you buy your supplies will help you if you have any questions and will also help you get the wax you need for your project.

I have called Peak before and spent over an hour on the phone as they helped me through a project. I don't recommend that but that is how great their customer service is.

I really hope I have helped you a little bit. I am new at this whole thing, but I have already gotten great advice from others here. You asked the same thing I did earlier this week. :D

thank you, do you use mineral oil to get the ball and for pillar. I am very new to this didnt even buy the ball yet just fell in love with the candle. I made two small pillar candels and they stuck to the mold. I think i going to buy a new mold cause even with the mineral oil they still stuck.

Mineral oil isn't really a releasant.

What kind of mold do you have?

Clean the mold and try wiping it with same some PAM.

I use Mineral Oil with no problems. Cooking sprays have Water & or Alcohol in them, just read the ingredent label, not good for candles.

I actually have not had a problem with mine getting stuck in the mold. If it is hard to get out, I will pop it in the fridge for about half an hour then it comes out no prob. I let mine cool overnight in the mold then when I went to take it out, the ball flew across my kitchen and I had to remelt and redo because I dented it when it flew out. My regular molds are easy, but I didn't expect it to be that easy. Funny thing, my husband was walking in to check out how it turned out and it was flying right at him. I would not use mineral oil. Cleaning and putting some pam in is what I have been told, but so far, I haven't had to use anything. My votives are the only things I have had to put in fridge, and that was with soy.

Candlewic has a nice plastic 4" mold that allows you to wick it like a normal pillar. You just tie a knot at the top hole to plug it. The wax comes out really easy with the plastic when it has cooled. They are so cute when they are done. Kind of hard to wick though.