Cash Register recommendations?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a cash register? I will be doing a big show at the end of April (if I get in) and would like to have a cash register to speed things along.

The one feature that I would really like for the register to have is the option to run on batteries. That's not a necessity but it would be nice so that I won't have to pay an extra $35 for electricity.

Well I have found that having a register slows thing down. If you have to hire people to help you one would be good.

This is what I do and it works well my DH and I both wear pocket aprons each has a calculator, change and a note pad to write down the sale on. If you do it this way you are not haveing to go back to the register to check someone out. The only time we have to go to a certian area is when we get a CC.

I got my register at Staples. I love it. Figures the tax for me, and at the end of the day, I know how much I took in for candles, bears, florals, etc. Really speeds things up for me. Customers get their copy of reciept too. They like that if they are writing checks.

We have a Royal and it is electric. We bought it at Staples. I think we paid about $230 for it. It has a scanner and we made barcodes up so all we have to do is scan our product and hand the receipt to the customer. It takes some programming but made things faster for us at craft fairs. At the end of the day we can print out what was sold for our records.

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I've been searching around and have found a reasonably priced battery operated one. It's the Royal 115 CX. I believe it's the one that Trish was referring to. It's available on amazon for $120.

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I've been searching around and have found a reasonably priced battery operated one. It's the Royal 115 CX. I believe it's the one that Trish was referring to. It's available on amazon for $120.

Yes, that's the one I was referring to. It definitely doesn't have the bells and whistles, but should get the job done.

I got mine off Ebay but the seller was pathetic. Hmmm...never did leave him negative feedback. It took WEEKS to get the register, he never responded to my emails until I threatened to file a paypal dispute. After it arrived, there was no key for the cash drawer! Then I had to bug him for that for weeks.

Beware of seller purple_pain_d_fence

i am so glad to hear that a battery operated cash register exists. i began my search for one a few months ago and continued to run into dead ends. thanks to all of you i will be purchasing either the royal or the swintec. can't decide which one. but i am too tickled because my 8 year old normally hangs out with me and hubby at the craft fairs and i plan to introduce him to the register...lol

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff, I cannot remember if I told you this in my PM, but thought I would post it here for everyone.

My hubby set me up with a car battery and a power inverter ($50 at Radio Shack). We just happened to have an extra battery around, but you can get a cheap-o car battery. Really, I think all you need is a 12 volt to do the job. The power inverter hooks up to the car battery and then has outlets that you just plug your appliances into. When the battery runs low (which mine did just once last year during my whole show season) you just put it on a battery charger over night. I love it because not only can I plug in my cash register, but I can also do lights, radio, cell phone charger, etc. It pays for itself in electric fee savings at the shows.