New to the molds adventure...

So I am just now learning to make pillars. As far as set up is concerned, it is pretty self-explanatory, but I bought a ball mold. It only has a hole at the top to pour the wax into it, but nothing to wick it with at the bottom. How do I wick my ball mold?

I bought one too and wasn't sure. All I did was put wick with a tab on the end in the bottom and used where the whole is as the top.. It doesn't look bad, but I'm sure that isn't how it is suppose to be

Cindy

I thought about doing the same thing. Or just dropping it in when it starts to "congeal" like votives. But then I also thought about the wick pin. But the wick pin is too short, so I may go with your idea. Thanks!

You could try drilling the hole for the wick. I've never tried it myself, but I think my power-tool crazy ds would have fun giving it a shot. :laugh2:

That is a good idea too. I may do that too. If anything a good vent:lipsrseal

Crafty, that is what my BF did for me! and it works well enough if I use the metal tape on the little hole. He used his Dremel to do it. Have no idea what size bit he used though. Just have to make sure the little metal burrs are removed before you use it.

HTH

Pat

I'm not sure if this will work for the ball, but I bought some molds that you wick after cured and the instructions state to heat up a thin nail or long metal object and then stick it into the candle where you want the wick when it cools slightly you can remove it and insert your wick. It works fine for up to 4", but I'm not sure if it will work on a larger candle.

I'm not sure if this will work for the ball, but I bought some molds that you wick after cured and the instructions state to heat up a thin nail or long metal object and then stick it into the candle where you want the wick when it cools slightly you can remove it and insert your wick. It works fine for up to 4", but I'm not sure if it will work on a larger candle.

That is an awesome idea. Didn't think of that one. I don't want anything to happen to my mold since I am new to this whole thing. Once I get my candle done, I will post a picture of it. I just have to have enough patience to wait for it to cool since the wax is basically enclosed in a hot metal enclosure it is taking longer to cool than I thought about. But I am optomistic it will be okay for a first.

Thanks everyone for your advise.