BW Luminaries

Varda

Danke! You're all way too kind.:)

They're wicked fun to make now that I have the basics down. I had seen some "Honeypots" at a local giftshop and thought it was a great idea so I just started experimenting. My first batch (I do about 6 at a time) I only got one good one (and thenI melted a hole in it with my tea light.. Doh!:rolleyes2 I now put a cork insert in the bottom), the rest went back into the pot!

The hardest part, I think, is getting the flowers right. I think I'm going to buy a flower press because I'm not loving the quality (or price!) of the flowers I'm getting.

Fun Fun... :cheesy2: I'm going to try carving them next.

thx again!

Varda

Those are great! I have to ask can you use whitened beeswax to make those if you wanted too? I haven't seen to many around. I would love to try those eventually.

I'm sure you could, I've never tried using bleached bw but I've done them in the standard yellow wax, acacia (which is a pretty translucent lemony yellow) and a buckwheat honey bw (which is dark brown). They all work great for dipping but I found the buckwheat a little too dark for seeing delicate florals. ...Although, I think a nicely carved orb done with brown wax would be brilliant!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sure you could, I've never tried using bleached bw but I've done them in the standard yellow wax, acacia (which is a pretty translucent lemony yellow) and a buckwheat honey bw (which is dark brown). They all work great for dipping but I found the buckwheat a little too dark for seeing delicate florals. ...Although, I think a nicely carved orb done with brown wax would be brilliant!

I have some of this acacia and buckwheat wax, as you've seen in my "wicking beeswax" thread. I suppose If I can't burn the stuff, I can at least do something fun with it like this!

Can you point me to some instructions on making beeswax orbs? How big are they and how much wax does it take?

Thanks!

Tony