Calling all Soap Detectives...

sockmonkey

to help me figure out what happened...

I made my first batch of CP (olive oil) soap ever one week ago. I poured the soap into a plastic tub, waited a few days before trying to remove it--it didn't seem firm all the way through, so I waited a few more days. It finally felt hard, but when I went to remove it again, I discovered it was still mushy underneath, and in the center. Trying to release it from the tub caused cracks to form. I waited a couple of more days, then tried to remove it again today. Parts of it broke off, with about one half to two thirds of it is still stuck in the container.

Did I jump the gun? My instructions said 48-72 hours should be enough time to allow before removing the soap, yet one week after making it, parts are still soft.

I was so disappointed, because everything seemed to go so well. The soap looked good, and smelled good. Now it's all mangled up.

Anybody got any advice or suggestions about what I should do differently?

You can rebatch it and it will probably be fine. Did you use something to line the tub? Soap can be really hard to get out of things without a liner (freezer paper is great) With a liner it just pops out and you can peel the paper away to cut it.

Many times my soap will still feel a little soft until I cut it and put it on the rack for a few days.

Thanks for the tips, ladies. Yep, it was pure olive oil soap, and I didn't line my container with anything. I read about people lining shoe boxes with wax paper, but didn't think I need to, since my container was plastic.

Which makes me wonder, does it make a difference in using wax paper vs. freezer paper?