Old wax

Scott

Hi guys, just a quick question. I have been making candles for a few years, and I have saved my wax from year to year and reused it. Sometimes I would buy fresh wax to add to what I have saved. My question is, is there an additive I should use ro refresh my wax or is it ok to use over and over. I often thought of adding bees wax, but don't know enough about wax to do so. Can anyone advise me???

If you made the candle properly, there should not be any wax left after you burned the candle or at minimum only about 1/4 to 1/2 inch left at the bottom of container. I would not reuse this wax because it has dye and FO in it and if you keep adding more FO, it could become dangerous. Make fresh candles out of fresh wax! Carole

Im guessing hes talking about store bought candles like pillars that dont burn all the way saving that wax and making candles from that. Wax doesnt go bad but can change and breakdown if you keep it melted around 200F for days or weeks at a time, but I think that might only change the way the wax throws not really how it is used as a fuel for a candle. 6 years back when I restarted full time candle making I still had a dozen cases of wax that were date stamped 1982 and I sure wish I could get some more of that stuff it was great wax.

Maybe wax gets stronger with age... like gunpowder. :shocked2:

Bruce

A thread here somewhere I came across said to use them as tarts and firestarters.

I personally had some Wal-Mart containers and pillars where the wick had fallen over, I used a fine slotted strainer, heated them on the stove and then poured into my pouring pitcher. Unfortunately, as bad as I am still, those managed to come out better than the 'real' ones I made with fresh wax....