Scent throw question

Being new at this I was wanting to know what effect putting the scent in the wax has (I'm using glass jars) - such as:

1. What temperature will you lose some of the scent? Close to the flash point? In other words, what temperature is too high to add a scent?

2. Is it important to heat the wax to around 170, put in the color and fragrance and cool down to around 150 to pour in order for the fragrance to have time to bond for good scent throw?

I'm just wondering what the heat up and cool down time are for?

If you add your FO at a low heat, it will not mix well with the wax. I add my FO at 180. It depends on your wax the pour temp, but has nothing to do with when you add FO. I think it wont burn much off unless you added it at 200 or more and left it to cook. I add mine, stir a minute and remove it from heat. THen stir a few minutes more.

With paraffin, I generally add FO at about 170, which is just above the temp I usually pour at. The Vybar I add helps with FO retention. With Soy wax though, I add the FO at a lower temp, usually around 140.

Thank you, Nodtveidt. This is what I was doing - adding the fragrance at 170, taking it off the heat and pouring at 150.

I have a few candles that even though I put in 1.5 oz of fragrance per lb. they are not giving off good cold or hot scent throw. I know I'm not adding too much Vybar. I'm only using 1/4 tsp per lb.

I just don't understand it! Arghhhhhh!

If you add your FO at a low heat, it will not mix well with the wax. I add my FO at 180. It depends on your wax the pour temp, but has nothing to do with when you add FO. I think it wont burn much off unless you added it at 200 or more and left it to cook. I add mine, stir a minute and remove it from heat. THen stir a few minutes more.

Thanks, this is excellent information! You are making me remember that I poured a few candles having put the scent in at 150. That may have been the problem.

Very helpful! Thanks, again!

How soon after your candles set up are you attempting to smell them? With most waxes you will need to "age" them a few days before the cold throw is maximized. After setting up, I trim the wick, put the lid on, and forget mine for at least 3 days before trying to smell them. Some fragrances, such as black cherry, will give off a cold throw immediately, but most require the aging.

Fredron

How soon after your candles set up are you attempting to smell them? With most waxes you will need to "age" them a few days before the cold throw is maximized. After setting up, I trim the wick, put the lid on, and forget mine for at least 3 days before trying to smell them. Some fragrances, such as black cherry, will give off a cold throw immediately, but most require the aging.

Fredron

I've had a couple for over a week that are still weak. But, you are right, they do take a few days to cure. My Hawaiian Ginger is awesome. Very strong from the beginning.

My Creme Brulee smells sweet, but not sweet enough for over five days. I'm surprised and disappointed at that. The color didn't come out like I wanted it to. I read that many didn't put any color in the wax as the fragrance gives a little of it's own color, but it came out totally white. Didn't want that at all. I thought it may have a hint of a cream color, but just white. :sad2:

Thanks for your help. I'll try some more today and see how it goes.

I have a few candles that even though I put in 1.5 oz of fragrance per lb. I just don't understand it! Arghhhhhh!

I have made over 2000 scented 8 ounce test candles and only carry 140 scents. Don't expect more than a fraction of your samples you buy to throw the way you want them too.

If it were that easy there would be no need for candle making boards. :cheesy2:

Bruce

If it doesn't throw, try a different supplier for the scent!

Thanks. I use NG and haven't heard anything bad about their scents, so I think I'm o.k. here, so far. I think I read a couple of their scents that weren't strong, like the vanilla. That was one of the candles I was having trouble with.

Certain scents, vanilla based are harder to incorporate. Sometimes you have to heat your wax a little more for those, and stir a good couple of minutes.

Vanilla was one I was having trouble with. I found out my mistake. I was reading that you put your fragrance in right before pouring. Therefore, I was putting it in at too low of a temperature.

Thanks for your imput!