Need Mathematician's Help

roady

Hi Everybody! This is probably pretty easy to figure out and a dumb question but I've been up most of night with sick baby and can't think straight! I used the calculator to figure amount of wax needed for one candle. It said 11.40 oz. If I want to use 10% FO.... how many ounces of FO do I need for one candle??????

TIA!

Chantel

I would think it would be 1.14 oz... just over an ounce. But... that seems like alot for one candle? Hmmmmmm. I could be wrong. In fact, I probably am! Sorry Chantel! I hope somebody that knows what they're talking about can help! :undecided :smiley2:

yep, it's 1.14 oz of FO. I think it seems a lot because you're using nearly twice the standard scent (it's normally 6% people use, but there's nothing wrong with using more if your wax can hold it).

There's a really easy way to work out a percentage of anything, even tricky numbers. Firstly you turn the percentage into a decimal (divide by 100) so for example 50 percent becomes 0.5, 10% becomes 0.1 and 6 percent becomes 0.06.

All you do then is times the amount by this decimal, so say the amount of wax your using (11.4 in this case) times the decimal of the percentage (0.1) will give you what percentage of FO you need (1.14)!!!

It works for anything though, such as working out VAT etc and very easy to do on a calculator!!!

LOL!!!!!! It's difficult to figure these things out when you've been up all night! Hey for me it's usually hard to think at all! My brain is getting to old and I've killed off way to many brain cells in my life..........:P

ditto!:confused:

The answer is 1.27 ounces.

11.4 will be 90% of your mixture.

11.4 is 90% of 12.67.

12.67 minus 11.4 oz wax leaves 1.27 oz FO.

However I think 10% is really pushing it with 4630. May not burn well.

hmmmmmm...... your post raises a question. In some of my scents that maybe considered a "heavier" FO, my wicks are drowning out, like in leather, chocolate covered cherries and juniper breeze. You think that could be why??? 10% of that particular scent is too much for my 4630? Also, something else, in these particular scents I have used the darker colors.

hmmmmmm...... your post raises a question. In some of my scents that maybe considered a "heavier" FO, my wicks are drowning out, like in leather, chocolate covered cherries and juniper breeze. You think that could be why??? 10% of that particular scent is too much for my 4630? Also, something else, in these particular scents I have used the darker colors.

I think that's definitely why. When there's too much FO to bind properly with the wax, it will clog your wick. Even when it doesn't drown out, you're liable to have ragged flames, soot and mushrooming.

Frankly I doubt many scents at all will burn well in 4630 at 10%. That's pretty extreme. With some, maybe 1/2 that amount is the most that will produce a good all-around candle. With most others, maybe 3/4 of that amount is the max. Just rough estimates, but you get the idea.

You have little to lose by scaling back, since you're probably past the point of diminishing returns anyway. Using less will get you better candles without losing much throw. If you really, really need that much fragrance oil, I'd say forget the wick and put it on a candle warmer.

Well, I don't NEED that much FO per se but the IGI website says it will hold that much (10%) so I figured since I want a awesome hot throw, use the max. I can see though on the heavier scents, that I don't need to do that. My leather scent is the worst. Chocolate Covered Cherries started drowning out about halfway and then perked back up. Now burning perfect. I know one thing.... these candles can really make you scratch your head!! :confused:

Well, I don't NEED that much FO per se but the IGI website says it will hold that much (10%) so I figured since I want a awesome hot throw, use the max.

The people who designed the wax blend would be the first to tell you not to do that. They say 8 to 10 percent, which means you can often use 8 and occasionally up to 10 with acceptable results.

However it might sometimes be 5 and sometimes the 5% fragrance will throw better than another at 8%. Or maybe the difference between 8% and 10% won't be enough to make it worth using 25% more FO just to make a wonkier-burning candle.

The bottom line is, there's no particular amount of FO you can or should use with a given wax. Each one is made of different stuff, reacts differently with the wax, burns differently and throws differently. Each new fragrance is a new candle design project.

Instead of having a set amount of FO in mind, design your candles so they burn like a charm. If you have trouble doing that with a given FO while still getting a good throw, just ditch it and maybe try something similar from another supplier.