Le Wicket™ Wood Wick Tests and Pics

warmvanilla

True, true...........I'm on my 3rd burn and the thing that I find amazing is that in total after well over 10 hours my candle has only gone down about 3/4 on and inch. I did try, after the last burn had cooled, to use my wick trimmer. I held the candle upside down and trimmed.........it worked! Still burning nicely!

:thumbsup:

I agree. But I don't think you can assume that each time you order a new case of wax it will burn the same as the last? So, wood wicks should be no different? Each time you get an order of wood wicks in, you should test those in the same respect as other tests. Whether color/scent/wick combo, or whatever.

But I DO assume my wax will be the same from batch to batch and it should be the same overall. I know it may not be, but I do Assume it will be and everyone else that uses a certain wax over and over would assume the same. Each piece of wood is different so I see a much more likely chance of them being hit and miss over the wax.

I just see the wood wicks are the largest variable in this situation. I see no other explanation for the varied results we have heard about.

Now if a wood wick could be manufactured from a wood pulp.. we might have something that can be repeated again and again with good results. If its a natural strip of wood, I have my doubts.

Bruce

What an awesome tutorial/test/pic thread! I am not near ready to experiment with these myself yet, but I have bookmarked the thread for future reference. I loved the crackling part, made me miss hubby a little more than usual, we rented a cabin one vacation that had a fireplace and we loved the quiet time in front of it and it reminded me so much of that. Since I am nowhere near ready to make one of these by the time he comes home, I think I may have to find one to buy now because of this thread. Again, great job! :cheesy2:

• 3 weeks later...
Would something like this help?

http://www.candlewic.com/store/Product.aspx?q=cSustainer+Bases,p342

ETA: Very nice presentation of the experiment! Thanks for sharing.

They worked! Takes a few extra steps...to modify it (the way these are designed, you'd have to put the wood wick in on a slant, otherwise.)

I think I have figured out another way to use these tabs that I will be more satisfied with...but still goofing around with them. These are very thin metals.

I had been using garden shears for cutting the wicks to size. I am now loving electrician scissors. They really give the wood a nice clean/smooth cut-and you can't really notice which end has been trimmed. They look like these:

sjgreatdeals101_1938_111677240

post-6436-139458421961_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing post. So informative.

I was wondering, do you pull the double wick apart and use a single?

I have the le wicket ones but they are the two pieces stuck together and don't crackle at all. So do you use a single layer? Or double?

Thanks!

Ilona

PS are you using soy? or para?

I was wondering, do you pull the double wick apart and use a single?

I have the le wicket ones but they are the two pieces stuck together and don't crackle at all. So do you use a single layer? Or double?

PS are you using soy? or para?

I use double, but sometimes the two will separate from one another and I'll use it as a single. After trimming the wick, I usually end up with one side that is single anyway...and I put that part up to burn first. Hope that makes sense!

I use both paraffin and soy...not mixed, but I've played with both.

I've used 4627, 4630, j223; C3 and GW 464 or 474 (I get the container mixed up with the votive blend-whichever is the container:grin2:)

Here's a soy. Apple Cobbler Delight. This is C3 with no additives.

You can see when it gets down a ways in it's burn how the double wick really cleans it up.

doublelewick.jpg

This is when it started off as single on the top:

doublelewickone.jpg

And this is the result of the burn. Don't have my notes with me as I'm typing to say what the burn time was, but I was really pleased with how clean it burned. Also, the wick holder I made from those tabs worked very well! I even held the jar to it's side and it would not move at all!

The crackling-this one did not crackle too good when it burned so far down.

Sometimes the sound is really great. Sometimes, it's not. :cry2: But, I always have one-it seems. It's very subtle!

doublewickclean.jpg

I decided to finish this candle. Bored anyway! Grabbed it off the mantle. This is what it looked like tonight

applecobbler.jpg

Ewwww! Something ugly, huh?:embarasse

For some reason, every time I make a soy candle with color, it starts morphing into something I can't describe. Looks like I have some clumpy body butter there! :laugh2: Smells great though!

Here's the wick tab still holding strong:

applecobblerwick.jpg

Trimmed it by pinching off the charcoaled parts, and lit her up! She crackled! For about 2 mins, lol.

applecobblerlit.jpg

ETA:

Now I remember. I was holding it on it's side, turning it around and around testing the strength of the wood wick tab in the previous burns above. I think that's why it clumped up badly to the side.

Thanks so much for the info.

I bought some of these small and large and have been testingthem all week.

Right now I have them going in 11oz tumblers with soy (eco 135), and a parasoy blend of 135 & 4627. I just poured a 100% 4627 one to test tomorrow.

These are my results (no pics - maybe I'll try to get some on here).

In 135 and 135 blend I use the small double wood wick. Burns nice, relights like a charm, throws wonderfully. I trim by clipping off the burn bits after its cooled upside down into the trash. Easy. No need for high tech clippers.

No crackle :undecided

When I tried to use a single wick - it had awesome crackle (I think it needs to be single for it to crackle) and burned fine in the soy on the 1st burn, but when I went to relight it the next day, no way. 10 min may and it went out. I played with wick in wax height and nothing. Even with the para blend - nothing.

What I noticed is that the OVC WW candles do not say "soy wax" anywhere on them nor on the OVC web site. I am wondering where it was that those babies were soy. They are no way 100% soy as they have para caractaristics. So I am wondering if somehow the single wick will stay going in my 100% para blend.

I will let you know after I test it tomorrow. *fingers crossed*

In the meantime, the double burn well. No crackle and look a bit lumpy, but I like them.

I'm sure they will be evolving over the next year or so.

So thanks for your research.

I love the body butter post LOL! Gotta love soy! :cheesy2:

ilona

• 6 months later...

I tried the exact same thing as far as setting the wick and trimmed the wick to about 1/8" above wax. I still cannot keep the wick burning. It extinguishes every time. Any suggestions of what I might be doing wrong? I use the same container as in the illustration and soy wax.

• 2 months later...