Votive & tealight help needed!

I've been making container candles for awhile and they sell very well at the gift shop, so now I feel comfortable with that and I'd like to move into some votives and tealights and some different container candles. So I have a couple of questions:

1. Wax for votives - what are the favorites, easiest to work with?

and

2. Wicking tealights - what do you use?

and

3. Layering container candles - how do you do this? I'm thinking I can't let the layers completely cool between layers (or can I?) and how do you pour the next layer if the jar is not heated? Do you heat it again or do you have to pour before it cools? Help!

Any tips would be appreciated VERY much! Thank you!

I use Astorlite 6228 for pillars, votives, tarts, dotz, and tealights. Don't know what others think, but my customers and I like it.

As far as the tealight wicks, sorry, but I don't know the number designation. (I really feel dumb.) I buy wicks from Early American Candle Supply and one day asked for tealight wicks to test. They worked well, and now all I do is ask for tealight wicks. They are a zinc core with tabs.

If you e-mail them, I'm sure they can help.

Fredron

Sorry, I forgot about the layered candles. Basically, let the first layer set up, but before it is completely cool & pulls away from the side of the jar, pour your next layer. I want a sharp defining line between layers, so I wait about an hour. If you are looking for a blending of the layers, wait less time.

No matter how much you read, though, you'll get more information in your first pour, than we can help you with. By the way, I have used J-50 and more recently, Joy wax. Not much difference in the way they behave in layering though.

Fredron

I use JS 50/50 for votives with 44-24-18z wicks. I previously used 4794 for years...I prefer the soy blend. Don't make tealights.

The layered containers I do basically the same as fredon stated...wait just long enough for first layer to slight cool...1 hour is about right depending on room temp,of course. I had bought a special layer wax but never have used it. I made some gorgeous Mardi Gras layered in containers and also some votives....they take 3 times as long to make but sure go over big!

Betty