Another question.

cbarber03

Yep, it's me again with another question:tiptoe: . I have made two batches of soap now, one CPHP and the other CPOP. Both have add a weird smell to them, but seem to become more like the FO as each day passes. They kind of smell oily! I used 1 oz pp in the CPHP and .5 oz pp in the CPOP. The first was Pink Sugar from NG and the second was Green Tea & Lemongrass from CS. Do soaps usually take a few days or more to lose the smell of the other ingredients and before they begin to smell like the FO you wanted them to?

Thank in advance.

I just realized how bad my typing was in the first post!

Nope, no milk. I used Darwin's basic recipe with the HP and then subed lard for the PKO in the CPOP batch. I guess I'll just be patient and see what happens, but it's so unbelievably hard to be! Man, this soap thing really is addicting! And I thought I loved candle pouring!

May I ask what CPRT is? TIA

It stands for "Cold Process Room Tempature" for your oils/fats and/or perhaps your premixed lye sloution. I store my master batch and premixed lye solution in my DW laundry room, high up on a shelf above the hot water heater tank. Only my master batch oils jug and my jug of premixed lye solution goes in there!

Paul....

I'm with Paul. Since I started soaping room temp, I'll never go back. Slower, easier batches with plenty of play time.

Don't ya just love it! Since I only do goat milk, which helps "heat" things up a tad, it works perfect for me, and I can still get full gel if i want to since I use my thick Aspen wood molds with the top. My GM soaps have never turned out better since I started CPRT!

Paul....

I do CPRT (never knew there was an acronym for it tho). I don't master batch though. I try to set up the night before - making up lye sol'n and melting and mixing my oils (usually just throw all oils together in a pyrex box and nuking it). Let it all cool overnight and I'm good to go. (but be sure there is a safe place to put your lye sol'n if you do this).

If I'm not doing it the night before then I make my lye solution using half water and half ice cubes (more ice is better but I never seem to have much) and then when the lye is all dissolved I stick it in the freezer to cool down. Then I melt all my butters in the microwave and pour RT oils (or colder - my garage is where I store them) into the bowl to cool those. I might have to wait an hour but it all cools down pretty quickly.

If my oils look cloudy I might zap them to warm them just enough to clear - my house is super cold at night.

My CP turns out nice and smooth - just like any other soap!

That's what I do.

Others will actually pour hot lye sol'n over everything that's just the way the weighed it out (oils at room temp, butters still solid) and call THAT Room Temp soaping.

It's a wild and crazy world, this world of soaping, where people speaking the same language, even with definitions in stickies, still cannot always agree!! LOL!

Sorry guys, I'm just full of questions. So if I understand correctly, if you melt and mix your oils and then let them cool down to room temp, will the oils that are normally solid at room temperature remain in liquid or semi-liquid form?

You got it! I use about 60/40 hard verses soft oils in my recipe. I measure out the soft oils, lets say for 5 or 6 -- 2 pound batches, and pour into my large holding jug. I them measure out 5 or 6 recipes worth of the hard oils, melt them until just melted, and add those to my soft oils. As long as the jug stays above 70*, at least for my recipe, it stays liquid. I procede to give my jug a good stirring, then weigh out my recipe weight of required oils/fats, and then weigh out the 50% lye soltion required for the recipe, make up the rest of the liquid as cold goat milk, and SB to any thickness of trace I want.

I usually just emulisify the batch, making sure all is incorporated well, no lye left, then proceed to mixing my colours up in a small bit of batter, scent the rest of the base, hit with the SB, and do an ITHS oe ITLS or swirl in my slab. I can leave the top of my TOG Mold off for no gel, or put the wood top on and get a full gel.

At least, like CareBear mentioned, is what I call CPRT soap making! LOl HTH!:highfive:

Paul....;)