Help with Bath Salt

theoldehearth

OK this is my latest attempt in making bath salts.

The first few ones well...let's just not go there.

My latest one is a different recipe and it calls for:

Epson Salts 15 oz

Sea Salt (any size you like) 12 oz

Silica Gel 1 oz

Cyclomethicone 2.5 oz

Kukui Nut Oil 1 oz

Fragrance .5 oz

I mixed this up and find that they're really sticking together so I laid them out to dry over the next two days and it's not helping. Should I add more salt or any other ingredients? They not even 'pourable' and I when scooped them up by a handful and shaked off I get alot of salts sticking to my hand not too mention my skin feeling a bit greasy.

I really like to add a bath salt line but I've searched high and low for a decent bath salt recipe and thought I hit the right one with this one. I can't even test this one with family and friends.

Any tips or advice??

Thanks!

shannon_purple_rose_fae_small.gif

My recipe is closer to Crafty 1's. I don't use any "wet" ingredients except for the FO which is absorbed into the dendtric salt before I mix the rest of the ingredients. I don't use DSS either as the humidity makes the salts mushy over time even in a tightly sealed containers. This may not happen where you (meaning anyone, no one specific) live, but if you have a customer in a humid area you don't want this to happen to them. HTH

that's an odd recipe to me. silica is designed to absorb oils so they don't seperate out( like in a sugar scrub) but they stay wet. i would stick to all dry ingredients, except the fo of course. epsom salts, sea salts, dendritic salts, even a bit ofbakind soda make a nice bath soak. the variety of grain sizes is nice. or stick to one med/small grain salt, which also looks very nice.

Hi again...

I thought I would pop back in on this to say that I just found a site that indicated using 5-10 tbls of Cyclo per one cup of bath salts. This was the first I heard of such a thing other than your original post- I learn something new everytime I come here.

Could it be just that you have a super high humidity? Maybe that Kukui nut oil is somewhat of a humectant and is drawing in moisture?

Let us know if you figured this out yet.:confused: