Just starting out - ? on Suppliers

My advise..stick to CTer's, they are allot of help. I would test everyone you do...if you use a different FO test it, if you use a different wick, test it, if you use a different container, test it..at least one, right CTer's am I giving good enough advise? I mainly just play aound & learn from my mistakes...If I am happy with one of my products (like my forever palms) I give away as gifts..

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every wax, wick, FO combination burns differently. No one wick will work for all scents. I can't believe you were told that. That is why we spend so much time testing to get a GOOD candle. Before you pour any more candles, take one & burn it for 3 or 4 hrs at a time until you get to the bottom and see how it goes.

I understand what you are saying. But, if all burn differently you obviously can't burn every single candle that you pour.

I don't see how they can't be good candles with zinc wicks and triple scent.

I've only burned one and it's awesome. Burning even and clean.

There isn't anything else I can do to make these candles - wax, dye and scent.

The vendor before me was buying her wax at the same place that I am buying mine.

I will test a few more, especially the couple that seem so mottled. I'll see if the Crisco solidified and could cause a fire.

My advise..stick to CTer's, they are allot of help. I would test everyone you do...if you use a different FO test it, if you use a different wick, test it, if you use a different container, test it..at least one, right CTer's am I giving good enough advise? I mainly just play aound & learn from my mistakes...If I am happy with one of my products (like my forever palms) I give away as gifts..

I will only be using zinc wicks and the same containers. We have to be uniform.

I just know I'm using the same company and product as the vendor before me. I feel good about that, thus far.

What my daughter does is burn a tester candle of each scent. That's all I'm going to do. I'm only starting out with 15 scents.

Thanks for all the advice. I need to hit the sack so I can get up early and burn down my house!!!!! :yay:

I'll check tomorrow and see if anything else was added. Wish me luck or visit me in jail. I'll post my e-mail address. :laugh2:

Good Luck!

See you on here...

OH...another thing..i take LOTS of notes!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep a notebook handy..its good to go back to..I go back to mine all the time

If you want to make a strawberry candle in an 8 oz and a 16 oz glass. Make one of each, write down the exact recipe and then test it to see if it burns, scents properly. You may have to change FO% or change wick size or change dye. Each change you make must be tested again. Once you get a recipe that produces a good candle, go with it. I am not trying to discourage you, but making candles is a serious business because you never know how your customers will abuse, misuse the candle. You must make them as safe as possible.

I don't know about in paraffin, but adding a small amount of Crisco to soy isn't unheard of. Since Crisco is soy I don't see any specific issue with her using it as an additive in paraffin, but I'm not a paraffin user.

For your original question about suppliers----I personally am not a NG fan and don't use anything from them.

As for the testing and being ready by March 1, good luck & I'm staying out of this debate.

Thanks for all the advice. I need to hit the sack so I can get up early and burn down my house!!!!! :yay:

I'll check tomorrow and see if anything else was added. Wish me luck or visit me in jail. I'll post my e-mail address. :laugh2:

LMAO, now that is funny. You sure add some pizazz to this humorless board.

Don't worry. We will get them tested. How in the world can wax and scent in a jar be a liability? What could go wrong, seriously?

Why is this thread considered a potstirrer? To me the above post says it all. So many think making candles is a snap and IMO we owe it to any newbies to stop them from making serious mistakes that can hurt all of us in the longrun. Carole

So many think making candles is a snap and IMO we owe it to any newbies to stop them from making serious mistakes that can hurt all of us in the longrun. Carole

I agree with you Carole, some times you have to step back and just let people do what they think they know. There is no genuine interest with this post, the initial subject was about suppliers. If they want to pour wax, stick in a wick and scent, let them.

You need to slow down. Every different candle jar, every candle fragrance has to be tested all the way to the bottom under different burn conditions. Crisco is not normally added to container wax, in fact, it is not recommended in making candles. It is probably making your wet, white spots. Invest in a good 1-pour container wax and start testing each size, each FO.

You are right and wrong. And might need to do some more research before you correct people on a message board.

1. Crisco is not normally added to CONTAINER wax, container wax already has all the additives in it.

2. She is not using a container wax. She is using straight paraffin from Hobby Lobby.

3. Crisco is a very common additive to get straight paraffin to behave in a container. It softens the wax, lowers the melt point, aids in jar adhesion and increases the hot throw.

There are lots of chandlers who mix their own container wax. Not everyone buys the premixed stuff from the suppliers.

Dat

I had no idea people used Crisco in candlemaking, since I don't make candles. I found this article about Crisco and thought it was interesting...

Crisco, a popular brand of shortening, was first produced in 1911 by Procter & Gamble and was the first shortening to be made entirely of vegetable oil.

When William Procter and James Gamble started the company Procter & Gamble, they hired chemist E. C. Kayser and developed the process to hydrogenate cottonseed oil, which ensures the shortening remains solid at normal storage temperatures. The initial purpose was to create a cheaper substance to make candles than the expensive animal fats in use at the time. Electricity began to diminish the candle market, and since the product looked like lard, they began selling it as a food. This product became known as Crisco, with the name deriving from the initial sounds of the expression "crystallized cottonseed oil".

I also found this website which may be beneficial to anyone just starting out...

http://members.iinet.com.au/~campbell1/fixes.htm

Why is this thread considered a potstirrer? To me the above post says it all. So many think making candles is a snap and IMO we owe it to any newbies to stop them from making serious mistakes that can hurt all of us in the longrun. Carole

I never considered the thread to be a potstirrer in any way.

Making candles is not a snap and any serious business person wants to put out a quality product.

What I am doing is looking at it from a logical fashion - you have a jar, you have a wick, you have wax, you have dye and you have scent - make a candle and make it look pretty.

I obviously have done some homework because - info not necessarily in order, but as I think of it:

• I understand I need a tax i.d. number - got that.
  • I need a business name and logo - got that.
  • I need labels for my business name and logo along with scent tags - got that.
  • I understand about the Crisco, as an additive, in the straight paraffin.
  • Melt the wax before adding the additives and dye.
  • Put your fragrance in last and right before you pour.
  • Don't stir too hard - it creates air.
  • Warm the glass jars in the oven before filling them.
  • Use a hot glue gun to keep the wicks in place. This works the best.
  • Drill holes in little popsickle sticks to keep the wick from moving - husband did that.
  • I understand that you can put up to 1.5 oz of fragrance in 1 lb of wax - to much will not absorb and end up leaking into the bottom of the container.
  • If you want dark colors the wax blocks are the best choice.
  • If you want lighter colors the liquid dye is best.
  • Make sure the burning liability label is on the bottom of each container.
  • Water is the enemy of wax.
  • Put newspaper on the counters for protection.
  • Put cardboard on the floor for protection.
  • Do not clean equipment and pour in the sink. Wax clogs! Kill your garden - throw the water outside. Hehehehhe
  • Rub vitamin E oil into your hands when you are finished or you will look like an old lady!

How is that for starters? :grin2:

My pink candle with the red hearts on the top is called - "Puppy Love". Awwwwwwwww! Sweeeeeet!

I had no idea people used Crisco in candlemaking, since I don't make candles. I found this article about Crisco and thought it was interesting...

Crisco, a popular brand of shortening, was first produced in 1911 by Procter & Gamble and was the first shortening to be made entirely of vegetable oil.

When William Procter and James Gamble started the company Procter & Gamble, they hired chemist E. C. Kayser and developed the process to hydrogenate cottonseed oil, which ensures the shortening remains solid at normal storage temperatures. The initial purpose was to create a cheaper substance to make candles than the expensive animal fats in use at the time. Electricity began to diminish the candle market, and since the product looked like lard, they began selling it as a food. This product became known as Crisco, with the name deriving from the initial sounds of the expression "crystallized cottonseed oil".

I also found this website which may be beneficial to anyone just starting out...

http://members.iinet.com.au/~campbell1/fixes.htm

Very excellent! Thank you!

You are right and wrong. And might need to do some more research before you correct people on a message board.

1. Crisco is not normally added to CONTAINER wax, container wax already has all the additives in it.

2. She is not using a container wax. She is using straight paraffin from Hobby Lobby.

3. Crisco is a very common additive to get straight paraffin to behave in a container. It softens the wax, lowers the melt point, aids in jar adhesion and increases the hot throw.

There are lots of chandlers who mix their own container wax. Not everyone buys the premixed stuff from the suppliers.

Dat

You are the bomb! Thanks!!!! :yay:

Good Luck!

See you on here...

OH...another thing..i take LOTS of notes!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep a notebook handy..its good to go back to..I go back to mine all the time

Thanks! I already have a notebook full of stuff and I have to keep reading it!

I need a section entitled - "Pot Stirrer Questions AND Answers". :grin2: