Couple questions about jars

Right now I use the Golden Harvest 8 oz JJ and they are the closest thing to a true 8 oz jar I have found. Came across a crisis and couldn't find them for a while and I got some smooth JJ that don't even hold 7 oz!!! Well I can't honestly sell them for the same price I do now ($6) so I start thinking about using new jars......

SharonKY has inspired me to look into square mason jars, just wondered how many of y'all use them....whether 8 or 10 oz. Are they true to size? Do you double wick? Anybody use HTP's with these? And finally....where do you get them?

Thanks in advance for any input.

I posted some places to get them in your thread in the classifieds section.

I have used them and they hold 8oz but are filled to the brim. Ususally I only pour 7oz and add .5oz of fragrance oil, and they look perfect.

I use HTP wicks in these HTP 105 works well with most fragrances, sometimes I have to go up to a 126 with cinnamon or vanilla FOs

I test burn in 4hr increments and sometimes dont reach a full MP until the second burn.

We use 8 oz. wide mouth (squat) round genuine Ball jars. The ounce unit of measure is a little confusing to a lot of folks. If they are filled to the brim, they hold 8 fluid ounces of liquid as opposed to 8 weighed ounces (dry measure). One is a liquid volume measurement; the other is the actual product weight (without the weight of the jar). We fill them to about where the threads begin. This is roughly 5.5-6 oz. While our product information lists these as 8 oz. jars, we also state (on the label) the actual weighed amount of wax contained in the jar so as not to mislead people to think that they are purchasing 8 oz. of wax in the jar. Kinda like ceral boxes, which state, "Product is sold by weight, not by volume."

Even though there are jars whose design we like better, these are readily available at WalMart and other canning supply sources. The reason we use them is because they are manufactured in the US to the heat and shatter resistance standards recommended. Glass manufactured in other countries is often less expensive but is not made to the same standards. Over the years, I have cracked a few Ball, Mason or Kerr canning jars (always near the bottom as others have experienced), but the lion's share of the glass cracking has happened in containers not manufactured in the US.

Although I can't get my mind to believe it, our 6 oz. tins (same thing - 6 oz. liquid volume capacity, but still 5 oz. net weight) hold roughly the same amount of wax as the 8 oz. Ball jars! They appear to be much smaller, but that's the illusion from the thin-walled tin vs. the thicker-walled glass. We never fill them all the way up because the lids would smash the wick over and we like to trim the wick to roughly 1/8" and leave it sticking straight up, ready for lighting without any trimming or adjustment by the customer. HTH:grin2:

I fill my square mason jars to about 1/2" from the top. Just weighted and they were 9., 9.2, and 9.1 so depending on where I fill to it's just about 9 oz. My jars are 8 oz to just where it starts in and 10 oz to the top. I call mine a 10 oz jar and don't feel like I'm cheating anyone because it is about an oz or less off. Same with my tarts. They run from 1.2 to 1.6 oz but they all cost the same. I started with JJ's and had the same problem buying them during off season. The sq. mason I use does look a little different than some others but don't know if it is a different size. The mason on my jar is in script while the others are like a block print. I use a CD 14 size wick and always used a 8 or 10 CD for the jj. But I also started out using a CD 10 on the sq mason. Don't know what has changed cause I been using the same wax for years and my wick size keeps going up...... HTH

• 2 weeks later...