Layered Candles

Hello all... a newbie here. I am trying out my first candle and I haven't completed it yet! But I have a question....How do you get even layers throughout the candle? Right now I am pouring and using an eye measurement but I am sure there is a professional way. Any suggesstions?

Well, if I want even layers (which isn't often) I use a very small ladle and count how many ladles of wax I use in each layer. But I don't think that's the normal way lol. I'm sure someone will give you other ideas. I mean, you can make marks on the outside of your mold and try to use those as a guide, but for whatever reason that doesn't work for me.

When I was playing with angles, I tried to do even layers in a mold. That was funny. I marked a wooden skewer the length of the mold, divided by 3 and used that as a guide to measure the sections on the mold. I used the black electrical tape as a guide on the outside of the mold. Two out of three layers were even. My fault I didn't measure as high on the mold as I thought. Ooops.

Live and learn though :embarasse

HTH

Pat

You can bend a piece of wire (like florist wire) and hang it over the side of the mold. Measure from the bottom of the mold (top of the candle) as most molds are taller than the candle they make. For a 6" pillar, make a wire so it hangs into your mold 2" from the bottom and another that hangs 4" from the bottom. Don't fill the mold to the very top and by the time you level, you should have even layers.

It was too much trouble for me...I like chaos. Let the layers fall where they will! :laugh2:

I personally like the eyeball method. I tried that with a skewer and still didn't get it to work that well. Then again, practice and more practice might have nailed it down more for me.

Works for me.

Instead of all this marking, why not just divide the amount of layers you want by the amount of wax in the jar.

You can bend a piece of wire (like florist wire) and hang it over the side of the mold. Measure from the bottom of the mold (top of the candle) as most molds are taller than the candle they make. For a 6" pillar, make a wire so it hangs into your mold 2" from the bottom and another that hangs 4" from the bottom. Don't fill the mold to the very top and by the time you level, you should have even layers.

It was too much trouble for me...I like chaos. Let the layers fall where they will! :laugh2:

I dig that idea, Georia - That will come in handy for me when using a taller mold for a shorter candle! Thanks!