I went to the Florida State Fair today and there was a Soy chandler there. I was just amazed at the amount of candles she was selling, and they looked completely junky! I know that soy frosts and I usually don't give it too much thought.

But it was obvious that these candles had a wick thrown in the jar and the wax poured straight in as soon as the FO was mixed in. The frosting completely covered the candles. They looked horrible!

And she was selling an 8 oz jar for $3.50!! I wouldn't even wholesale for that amount!

You should see the ultracrap candles you can buy dirt-cheap down here...PR gets these incredibly crappy candles made in the Dominican Republic that have the WORST case of mottling I've ever seen...and not the good kind either, these look like the wax was deliberately overstirred right before pouring into the containers. What sells them though is all the religious stuff on them...people look past the ultracrap wax for their religious fix and a cheap price.

Guess they are cheaper the more you buy. I use to buy Molly's candles and I loved them. They smelled great, might not look fancy but everyone I bought, did not have any frosting. I always wondered how they could look so good, smell so great and sell for so little. They have been selling soy candles for at least 6 yrs.

I have seen these candles in MI too. Even bought one to compare burn / scent throw. It was a good candle but not real attractrive.

Sharon, I love your website and candles are beautiful. I was thinking of using a bigger jar but dread the testing. Do you double wick those?

It also amazes me how many available scents some people have. I'd love to have an inventory like that. Do you sell in stores?

Didn''t mean to change the topic of this thread, but I'm so impressed with your candles.

I've seen many soy vendors market the ugly holey tops and the frosting as part of the unique characteristics of the soyway and sell bundles of their candles... It's unfortunate that customers dont' realize there really are "nice" looking soy candles.

I know nothing about the candle maker you speak of but I'd like to inject something in here for many to think about:

For many chandlers, myself included, the FROSTING IS what many customers want! My customers LOVE it and know that it makes absolutely no differance in the way the candle smells or burns for them. They personally think it's a wonderful effect.

When I first did soy candles five years ago, frosting is what drew the customers too me because they'd never seen such an effect. I explained it to them and told them I wasn't going to worry about it. I had better things to concern myself with like excellent burn, awsome throw and quality scents.

I never judge a sy candle by frosting. If the wicks are awful and off center, that's far move disparaging to me than the frosting.

JMO

Fire

I love frost too. It gives a candle great character. But this amount was horrid!

And some of the wicks were off center, too. I just got a bad candle vibe from this table. I seriously thought it was someone who was small time and didn't know what they were doing. I had no idea this was a company who wholesaled to other people.

I seriously thought it was someone who was small time and didn't know what they were doing. I had no idea this was a company who wholesaled to other people.

So why not discuss your concerns with the vendors? Talking about them here will not resolve anything... just my 2¢ worth...

Trends in art and decor have made the "rustic" look to become popular. People have different ideas of what "rustic" actually is... Some folks think that a candle with significant frosting is simply awful - it doesn't look "perfect." Same thing with lumpy tops... Just like smooth shiny fudge vs. matte, lumpy fudge - they both taste FINE! The lumpy-topped, frosted candle still may smell and burn just as well... While we enjoy all of the unique characteristics of soy wax, we strive for as little frosting as possible and flawless, velvety smooth tops. Those visual aspects do not affect the quality of the burned product, but the craftsmanship is more refined. While appearances are not everything, they do matter to many folks. IMHO, inattention to craftsmanship details make me wonder if the chandler has paid as much attention to the quality of the container they are using and the scenting and wicking of their product - things I will not know until after I purchase and use the product. So I generally will pass on a candle that appears poorly crafted, even though the aspects on which I am judging may not affect the burn or hot throw... I might forgive a slightly off-center wick in an otherwise perfect appearing candle, but I would not forgive it in a candle with excessive frosting and a lumpy top. I don't want to give my customers a chance to pass on my candles because of their appearance...

Before we sell a candle, we always open it and examine it for frosting, weeping, "wet-spots," centered wick, etc. If one has frosted up, it goes into the discount box of "seconds," rightly or wrongly. People enjoy bargains, too!