Lye Pockets

KristinesShower

The more I think about this, the more upset I become...

As you all know I am back working all by myself at the shop and also at home because it has slowed down considerably. My MIL has finally put in her last day and I can't be happier. However, I've been over here (the shop) since Thursday and I am so mad I could scream. It seems the more I clean, the more things I find that are or were done wrong.

Before I go on, I completely blame myself for this as I didn't put enough time in over here. I should have come by more often and stuck my nose in my own business, but with having my first child and really thinking that my MIL knew what she was doing, I let it go too damn long.

Ok, anyway - on to the subject.

I just unmolded some custom made soap that I discovered had lye pockets in it. Please forgive me, but it has been about 3 years since I even touched a soap pot...Can I rebatch this stuff or is it garbage?

I am truly hoping that I can rebatch this. It's not too much, but I hate to see any of it thrown in the trash.

I would like to add that I am having a great time over here and getting back into it 100% is something that has really made me happy these last few days. I can't wait to make soap - that is a task that starts on Wednesday :yay:

(Don't be surprised if you see me posting often until I get back into the swing!! Notes are ok, but soaper friends are better :grin2: )

If you're sure your measurements were correct, then yes, rebatch it. If it comes out too ugly, you can always shred it up for a confetti batch in the future.

Lye pockets occur from the soap not being mixed well enough, seperation due to overheating and other reasons. The only reason you'd want to pitch if is if you are not sure of your measurements and it's lye heavy. Even then, I wouldn't pitch it, I'd make laundry soap.

ooo lye pockets SUCK.

I'd even rebatch & make soap balls out of it. Give them away as freebies.

Or make a really cool 'planet' soap!

I'm one of the crazies who doesn't mind rebatching since that's how I first started...rebatching another soaper's CP soap. I don't do it much anymore, but don't mind it when I do.

ETA...nice to 'see' you again, Jen!