Natural dyes vs. Synthetic... suggestions?

I've really been trying to "keep it natural" but it seems like the only practical way to do this is to keep it white.... boring. Are there ANY suggestsions? Does putting powdered herbs/spices affect the burning of the candle?

I've looked into minerals used to dying soaps, but this seems just as hazardous, if not more hazardous as normal dyes. I'm a biologist, and although my knowledge in toxicology dosen't rival an expert, I know it's theoretically possible for the minerals to turn into fumes... Lead Oxide might turn into lead fume... this isn't any good.

Any suggestions on synthetic dyes (which ones from where are best?)? I was considering the super strength ones from Candlewic... has anyone had any expierience with these? Just how strong are they?

How have the rest of you guys dealt w/ colorants in your pursuit of an all natural candle?

Unfortunately "all natural" would be to use essential oils only, leave them uncolored and use a cotton type or hemp wick. Also is your soy wax organically grown and processed?? It's very difficult to claim "all natural" on any candle as there are so many factors to consider. If you add spices or herbs to your candle you could clog the wick big time. I've started using these dyes:

http://www.barnloftcandles.com/soy_dyes.html and have great luck with dark, strong colors, which I was after.

A couple other places that have good liquid dyes are Lonestar (http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/dyes.html) and Rustic Escentuals (http://www.rusticescentuals.com/colorants.html

Good luck in your quest!!:)

You can, but it's much harder to control. This line was created for control and consistency in very small batches as well as large.

You pretty much have to wipe out what you know about liquid dyes and how you use them to use the Pryme line. You must be able to weigh them, as you would any other additive in your formula.

edited to add: ChrisR is right.. none of these are natural and I don't know of any readily available 100% natural candle dyes on the market (ie: plant derived). I would just leave them free of dye and tout the purity of that. Assuming you are using 100% essential oils, even some take issue with those depending on the method of extraction. And soy itself even is sullied by the method IT is extracted.

I guess it is an individual's perception of what is "pure and good" ...enough.

you have to weigh them? even though they are in drops?

I don't have a scale that is sensitive enough, and probably aren't interested in buying one. In my past experience with liquid dyes, counting drops, or even "dropper fulls" has been an OK way to do things... Are these dyes that concentrated that 10.1 drops would be such a different color than 10 drops?

What about a DIFFERENT solution to bordom? How about decorating the jars? OR making a little setting the jar fits in? If color is SOO important what about painting the JAR? (Heat resistant like auto engine paints etc).

I just feel there are many ways beside coloring the Soy that might be tried and hope these might help.

FWIW

David