Recalls

Beth, I am not sure, but it seems the problem is with the wick not secured enough and has the tendency to move to the side. Wow, even at 1$ each, it's already 3.7M! It's scary to think.

I am concerned about using plastic tealights. Anyone with experience getting this plastic shell burned?

Dell:shocked2:

I have one of those mason jar candles I picked up at the grocery store a couple of weeks ago to see how they burned. The wick is not attached to the bottom and after a few days of sitting in a different environment FO was leaking out. There are two small puddles on the top of the candle and some on the side. Needless to say I haven't burned it. I'm just going to save it to show people you get what you pay for.

I have one of those mason jar candles I picked up at the grocery store a couple of weeks ago to see how they burned. The wick is not attached to the bottom and after a few days of sitting in a different environment FO was leaking out. There are two small puddles on the top of the candle and some on the side. Needless to say I haven't burned it. I'm just going to save it to show people you get what you pay for.
I picked up a couple of them too. (Curiosity got the best of me at the grocery store.) While digging the wax out of one, I noticed the wick wasn't secured at all. There was probably ~1/4" of wax between the wick tab and bottom of jar. Crazy, esp. with the bottom being convex. Oh well,... whaddya expect for a dollar?!? :tongue2:

Lighteningbug, are you using wick assemblies (wicks with metal safety wick tabs) or just a plain wick? I don't see how it could fall over using a wick tab...:confused:

She probably does (like me) and just pokes and hole and inserts a wick. When you reach the bottom and the bottom liquefies enough, the wick just falls over. Remember, she's talking about testers, not production candles.

Hi. Yes, I am talking about my testers. In my finished jars I attach a pre tabbed wick. I've been using wick stickems with good luck, but when these are gone I think I might try the ole glue gun. I'll need another outlet...presto, heat gun, scale and now a glue gun! I have some of the plastic tealights too. Never burned one all the way yet. I needed a purple one for decoration. But now, maybe I will look for an alternative. They do look cool when you can see them all colored, but...safety first. Beth

Heat gun doesnt keep them secure enough when the candle burns all the way down, I have had some come loose in the 8oz square mason jars with the tabs glued with a heat gun. Its becuase the bottoms are a bit curved up and they will slide to one side. Better stick with the wick stick ums. I havent had any break on me though, Richards Packaging makes some pretty durable mason jars. But I am still not going to take any chances.

I was testing some tea light wicks once and had a rough wick, tab & all, swim over to the edge of tea light cup,... but luckily I noticed it before it did too much damage!! It permanently yellowed the little clear plastic cup before I extinguished it. The cups had slightly recessed circles in the bottoms that I thought it would keep the tab in place...Apparently I was Wrong!

Now, I only use pre-tabbed tea light wicks that have really large round bottoms on them, that way they there is no way the flame can swim too close the edge of the tea light cup. I simply cant imagine having to take the time of securing wicks onto tea light cups, especially if I had to do alot of them!

Has anyone that uses the silicone to secure their wicks is jars ever has a wick that came loose while burning a candle?