confused about labeling candles...

erinmfritz

I have been keeping an eye on posts about labeling and have checked out various web sites of members here.

:confused:My question is, do you put the weight of the actual candle (minus the jar, etc) for the candle size or do you put the size of the jar (ex: 12 oz Metro) I was under the impression that it was to be the weight of the candle but I am seeing alot of 16oz apothocary type candles being sold. I know with my jars that I can't fill it to the ounces that the jar says it. Please enlighten me on this topic. Thanks

Yep -- weight of the actual candle.... and sometimes you can get the volume of the container in weight. I weigh my stuff and can usually get enough wax into a container to reflect the size (like 2 oz of wax in a 2oz tin). Not always, though. (I wish)

Also remember that most people on the street don't know the volume of the container anyways (we do but we don't count!)

You're supposed to put the weight on the candle jar label?! :shocked2: Oh my...I don't do that.... I didn't know we were supposed to...I do list my jelly jars on my website as: 8oz Jelly Jar Candle and 16oz Apothecary Jar Candle....I figured I was listing the jar size not the actual candle wax weight. Where is this written that you have to put the wax weight on the candle jar label? To be honest...I was a huge Yankee and Colonial customer and never once checked the weight. You have me worried!

We have been labeling our 10 oz apothecary jars "8 oz", but I happened to double-check it months after we started selling them, and we actually are only putting 7 oz in this jar. This is filling it to the line on the jar, just before it starts to curve - weighing an empty jar, tareing it, then putting a cold, filled jar on the scale.

Is this correct? I have a very large label order going to the printers tomorrow, with the new weight on it, and I want to be sure I am correct.

On several sites, I notice that the 10 oz apothecary jars show "10 oz".....